PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Are there any blends you love but can't smoke because they negatively affect your body? I'm a huge fan of Classic Samsun, but every time I smoke it, I develop an ulcer in my mouth that takes forever to heal. No other blend, McClelland or otherwise, does this to me, but for some reason Classic Samsun just doesn't agree with my body chemistry. I'm afraid I'll have to move on from a blend I really, really love. I'm curious to hear others' thoughts.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm very confused....
You love smoking tobacco that gives you ulcers in your mouth?
In the most sincere way I'd like to ask everyone that may reply to this thread...are you that obsessed with smoking "good tobacco" that you're willing to hurt yourself?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Often you don't know the price you'll pay until after you smoke it. You may like or love the flavor.
I can see the legitimacy of the OP's question. I also see your point, that one would nearly have to be suffering a mental deficiency to continue causing self harm.
My physical reaction to McClelland's Red & Black was one of pain and suffering. Didn't enjoy the smell nor the taste and my mouth was scorched earth.
I continued to experiment with it, as a very new piper, listening to the many tales of improper drying, packing and smoking cadence.
It kicked my ass each time and I finally gave up. It did help me to improve my techniques, so there is that.
More recently, I got some H&H Marble Kake and had some similar, but milder, reactions. With diligence and hardware adjustments, I've gotten to where I can usually get through a bowl of it with little to no adversity. Also, unlike the R&B, I actually enjoy the flavor.
Dad always said I had to learn the hard way... :crazy:
jay-roger.jpg

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Frog Mortons Cellar is, so far, the only tobacco that has ever hurt me. We just dont get along. My experience is similar to Jays post above. I tried everything to make it work, but in the end all I ever got was pain.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Wait, wait, wait, don't misunderstand me. I no longer smoke this blend because, over a long period of time, I monitored whether or not what was happening was a coincidence. I have no proof that my physiological reaction is directly caused from this particular blend, but I no longer care to tease that out.
My question was, are there blends you love the taste of but can no longer enjoy because they disagree with you physically?
Here's another example: I think HH Acadian Perique is damn good, but the nicotine content sends me reeling to the point I can no longer smoke it.
Here's another: To jaytex969's point, Marble Kake is excellent, but it tends to bite me no matter what I do. It's one I've set aside for the time being, but man is it good.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Marble Kake is excellent, but it tends to bite me no matter what I do. It's one I've set aside for the time being, but man is it good.
Do you not see the incongruency in this?
How can it be good if it bites and you don't enjoy it?

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
bassbug, I enjoy the taste! I think MK tastes great, and the first time I had it, it burned perfectly. But the handful of times after that, it still tasted great but bit me. So I've moved on from it.

May 4, 2015
Haddo's messes with me like this. I really want to like it, but for some reason (maybe the booze topping?) I can't smoke it the way I smoke everything else. It either scorches me, or if I let it dry to where it doesn't bite me it gets harsh and the flavor is poor. I haven't ever found a happy medium with it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love Motzek Strang, but it hates me. So I sold it after building up quite a supply of logs.
I also love Klondike Gold, but hate that I'll run out some day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can't smoke blends that have red virginia tobacco in them. They burn my tongue the minute the smoke hits it. I have worked around that issue by not smoking anything with reds. The only blend I do smoke that has a tiny amount is Solani Silver Flake, but if it burned me I would never smoke it. I smoke my pipes to enjoy myself and no tobacco is worth any kind of pain.

teajeat

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Great question, I love the taste of Jacknife Plug, but it burns me so bad. Not tongue bite, I thinks its the quality of the smoke (pH ?, ammonia level ?) that makes my throat feel like I have strep for hours. Really its any blend with dark fired kentucky or certain burleys.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About the only candidate for this subject would be Haddo's. and not really that much. When it's fresh, there's a rough edge to it that can cause me a little bit of discomfort at the back of my mouth, not a lot, but noticeable. Aged a few years or more and that goes away. Bright Virginias used to set my mouth afire, but not any longer. So far, nothing I've smoked affects me in a negative way, other than not liking the flavor profile.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, of all the blends I cannot smoke due to reds, it is Haddo's that I miss the most. I loved that stuff but couldn't get it to stop burning my tongue off. I aged it ten years trying to get it to not sting, but even after that amount of age, it was still torture.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
C&D Big & Burley kicks my arse, and I'm no wuss to nicotine. I can smoke Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe, Five Brothers and pretty much most strong burleys, but B&B is just rough on my throat. And retrohaling brings the sinus floodgates. But I'm no quitter....I got a pound sittin here and by God, I'll figure out what the problem is. Maybe a smaller bowl, lighter cadence, quit snorking, cut it with something...whatever it takes. I'll figure it out eventually.

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Glad to read I'm not the only one. I've read elsewhere that red VAs bother some people and not others. As for some of the comments on burley, Prince Albert was the burley-based blend that threshed my throat after one bowl. I thought it tasted good - kind of no-nonsense with some cocoa - but afterwards I had to pop Advil. It was definitely akin to having strep. This ulcer I have now from Classic Samsun isn't as bad as the last, but I am pretty much done with the blend altogether. Now I gotta try to find a suitable replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.