PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there gang,
As with my other snapshot reviews, this is intended as a "moment in time" analysis and not an exhaustive, longitudinal research study done in double blind. YMMV
Tobacco: Virginia & Burley
Cut/Style: Coins
Aroma: Stewed prune, fig, nutty, earthy
Drying: Dry, rubbed out easily into ribbons, but compressed well
Pipe: Post family era Barling Canadian, group 3 equivalent
Prep: Rubbed out, 3 stage stuff method to 1/8" from bowl rim to allow for expansion, even draw pre-light; like drinking chocolate milk through a straw.
Charring light: This tobacco wants to burn!
True light through first third: Nutty and earthy sweets predominate. My overall impression is that this is a mild, easy smoking, tobacco. Few fruit notes to speak of, but there are some underlying resinous (burnt/burning sugar) tastes developing.
Second third: Fruit sweets are coming forward, a little, but the bowl is being dominated by burnt nut and earthy aromatic elements. Definitely getting fruit notes on the retrohale.
Bottom third: This tobacco gets better for me the farther into the bowl I go. Maturing sweetness and good body prevail in the bottom third. The smoke becomes creamier and more luxurious, the tastes stay firmly in the sweet family, and the fruit notes come to stay in the linger.
I enjoyed this tobacco, and I would like to see how it ages. I think I'll throw ten tins in the cellar and open one tin, every year, for ten.
$0.05 in the bucket.
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I had the same experience with this blend and found that the burn and consistency of the smoke was excellent but i wasn't too pleased with the flavor it delivered. Great review Pat good to know that we are on the same page with blend experiences yet still very interesting to see how we differ in preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.