Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Believe or not, never owned a corn cob, should I get one??

(37 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by jason64
  • Latest reply from mikethompson
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

I was always under the assumption that corn cob is an introductory level pipe which you get to see if pipe smoking is your cup of tea or not, and I thought of them as disposable cheap smokers. On the contrary, I came across many many positive feedbacks about corn cobs and realized I was wrong. So, now I am curious, are cobs good smokers? They are insanely cheap compared to briar, so if they are good why people spend 100X more on briars. I appreciate if you educated me on cobs a little bit

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, they can be introductory pipes.

Yes, they are dirt cheap.

Yup, they are good smokers.

Briar is superior in many ways, however. More durable, slicker, valuable. A briar pipe has better reselling potential—just look at the estate pipes market: how many cobs do you see there?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The topic was recently brought up, BTW.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/corn-cob-love

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Yes, get a cob. They are good smokers and great pipes to knock around with, you can abuse the heck of of them and they still smoke fine. In fact I believe they like the abuse, I also find they dont ghost as bad as brair. If you dont like it then you out 10 bucks or less. I also like the filterd ones for when I want to puff like a train as the filter absorbs alot of the excess moisture. Also in public it gives you the "cool" factor lol

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

@acidpox :))))) you are the man

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

I started with a cob myself and than progressed to briars, however, i now have about 7 different cobs from missouri meerschaum and they are wonderful smoking pipes.
    In fact i find there are a couple blends i like that taste better in a cob for whatever reason. The price can't be beat and boy are they tough little suckers.
    Love my cobs. Definitely get one and you will see what everybody is talking about, and ya, they do look cool. lol

Puffing on a cob in front of a bonfire with a cold beer in hand...ahhhh can't wait for the summer !

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I have bad PAD so I have a collection much larger than I'll admit to my wife but...I have found I grab one of my 6 or so cobs more and more. They smoke well, cool and with little or no thought. If I drop it, so what, it's only a $10.00 pipe. If I set it down and forget where, so what. Yes it doesn't look as classy as a meer or a briar but I color mine to make them my own. The tabacco doesn't seem to know I'm "slumming ". I guess I'm saying I'm becoming a "cob snob". I don't buy pipe for investments, that what guns are for. Try one, if you don't like it...it's a $10.00 pipe for goodness sake. I willing to bet you won't regret it., many for us are closet cob smokers!

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get a few cobs. I'd recommend the ones with larger bowls although one small bowl for short smokes isn't a bad thing. They smoke good and are very forgiving. Given the price of a cob, why would you ask vs find out for yoursel?. Same price as buying a tin of tobacco to try.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

This ones my favorite so far
    The dwarf cobbit

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

They're good for channeling your inner Huckleberry Finn; but there's something incongruous about smoking a $.25/gram boutique tobacco blend in a cob.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  11. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. Hell, it don't cost nothing. What've ya got to lose?

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think briars look better, only advantage IMO. Cobs don’t ghost easily, nice wide open draws, can last a long long time. There are a lot of different looking briars, cobs do not have that many designs if you are into the looks department. To each his own.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Cobs are easily obtainable along with being a good cheap smoker. I can walk into any Walgreens near me and pick one up for about $10.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Smoke a good burley-forward out of a cob. One of the Runowski’s, like Haunted Bookshop, Morley’s Best, etc. That should add a cob or three to your collection!

Whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I didn't fish or sometimes toil hard out of doors, I probably wouldn't own a "disposable" pipe. They are extremely practical for me where a nice briar or meerschaum is contraindicated. They smoke no better, no worse than a briar I simply do not like the heft nor find them particularly attractive to my eye.

Now when driving a chainsaw or if I dressed as "Mammy Abner" for Halloween, that's where the cobs shine. They'll take abuse and when one floats merrily down the creek ... you're not out much.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

jason64

Login to Send PM

Theanks all, I am super convienced

@ Warren: I really like your writing style,

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke the cobs I have, and much prefer briars. But, yes, do get a cob.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

My cob smoking is rather cyclical. I usually prefer briars, but every now and then a cob just hits the spot. And like others have mentioned, they're an excellent no-fuss option when you would worry about the possibility of a more valuable pipe being damaged.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

During my last culling, the cobs went nowhere. Love them myself.

My favorites.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Login to Send PM

Cobs are fantastic! I'd recommend them for anyone, especially cosmic, even though all he's gonna do is beat the shit out of you with it and throw it away for offering it to him, but alas, I digress... They're great smokers, and like real meerschaum, do a great job of mitigating moisture. Run them through hell and they'll pop out the other side scorched, but smiling and ask you to run it through again as the first time was just a vacation.

I also love trying new blends in my cobs to see what pipe I might want to smoke it in. I'm trying to keep one pipe strictly for Virginias and don't really want to inject too much latakia into the bowl.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've owned cobs. I've tried to like cobs. I only have 2 left. I'm a briar guy. Simple.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I've owned cobs. I've tried to like cobs. I only have 2 left. I'm a briar guy. Simple.

Not a thing wrong with that, I tried to like meers, but they got the axe during my last downsizing. All cobs and Briars for me.

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do it. It’s a right of passage. I have three and rarely smoke them. But darn they are great to have.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  24. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

To each his own.

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have three and smoke them all often. One is for Lakeland’s, one Is for burley and one is for Virginia’s.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Love my cobs. Have 5 now. With the forever stem, they are outstanding to smoke. My wife bought me one for this past Christmas. Fancy stained one. Small but smokes like a dream.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make sure its a MM cob. And clean it up first. Cut out that wood stem portion that sticks into the bowl chamber.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  28. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

See I always leave that portion of the stem in. I believe it makes it faster to round out the bottom. If you cut that part out, it would take longer to fill in with cake. Ymmv.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Cut out that wood stem portion that sticks into the bowl chamber.

Never had an issue with them.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

I too leave the extra stem in the bowl

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I thought I read somewhere the extra stem in the chamber is to help chambers without the wooden plug in the bottom. The stem protects from burnout. I could be wrong. Only some of the MM cobs have a wooden plug in the bottom. I leave the stem alone and I've never had a problem.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

I also started with cobs, patriots and even the mini short stop cobs. Kept burning through most of them, either the bottom or the walls. Most likely due to my lack of technique. But the good thing for Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs is they sell stems to replace the old and chewed or loose stems you might have.
    The one that lasts up to date for me is the MM Dagner Poker stand easy which has a hard wood plugged at the bottom of the bowl. Quite pricey for a cob but it does have an acrylic stem.

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  33. tufftony

tufftony

Login to Send PM

The 'Missouri Meerschaum' cobs smoke great but I've never cared
    for their plastic mouthpieces.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes well enough to recommend buying one of the series that comes with an acrylic stem, such as the Dagner, the Charlie Town, or the recent St. Pat's Day. You can get a regular MM cob pipe with the soft plastic stem for about $5 to $8, but a pipe with an acrylic stem costs about $24. I've ceased to consider them disposable or temporary. They're good for beginning smokers because they are easy to smoke, but they're good for anyone for the same reason. I'm indifferent to how classy or not they may look. If I had on a tux and I had one of my cobs, I'd smoke it without a second thought. People who bring problems with them will find something to disparage; I only seek to avoid those folks.

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Sure pick one up ! I have a few and lately I find myself smoking them more than my other briar pipes. I find the cobs are great for taking to work and they smoke great ! You just can’t go wrong picking one up .

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, the wood stem protrusion starts burning and fouls the taste.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a hardwood MM, and it still works just fine thank you very much. They are solidly made and very durable. They tend to get the reputation for being disposable, but that is only because they are inexpensive, not cheap.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   autumnfog, seaelf32