PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
On my belt, everyday, everywhere, I carry a multitool, an LED flashlight, and a cheap TracPhone (I have a smartphone but use that mostly for net access and aps, and don't always have it with me). I also carry a knife in my pocket. A few days ago, the power went out at work for three hours, and I was the only employee with a flashlight. Only me and the cop that showed up had lights immediately at hand. There have been many, many times that the multitool has been needed, by me or others. A couple days ago, the knife was essential, not just convenient. The multitool has a blade, but the knife was a far better choice because of it's sharpness and pointed tip. Some people carry even more than I do. Do you carry less, more, or the same?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A lot of folks these days use an flashlight app on their phones. It seems now, a primary carry item is a back-up power supply for your phone! I have a flashlight and Gerber multi-tool in every car and a small pocketknife (SOG) on my keychain. The knife gets me in trouble at airports everyonce in a while...

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I wouldn´t leave the house without a knife! People always make fun of me about that. Sometimes they are the same people that want to borrow the knife later! With all this insane plastic wrapping and packing these days I have no idea how people get through a single day without a knife. :roll:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup! My iPhone is also my flashlight. In addition, around town on my person, is a wee Swiss Army knife and emergency cash. When working in the office I carry much more in pockets of course. Mostly stuff related to comfort, survival and photo shooting. Not camera gear, that's on my back or in my hand. I have a length of chainsaw with "tee" handles, Swiss "Champ," a bit of food, pruners, parachute cord, fire starter, and the like stuffed in various pockets. Oh, a pipe and the blend de jour of course along with the ubiquitous cigarettes.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I keep several good flashlights available in convenient places but don't carry one on my person. I do always have a knife on me, usually clipped to the top of my pocket. As many have mentioned it is a valuable tool that I can't imagine being without. Carried one all my life, had a buck folder on my belt back in grade school and high school before it was a "weapon" in the eyes of the nannys. :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
9mm/.357 and a knife. The small Swiss Army Knife with blade, scissors, file/screwdriver, tweezers and toothpick. If I am traveling any distance add flashlight and means of fire.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
On work days, a 2-AA cell LED Maglite and Camillus rigger's knife, both carried on the belt. For those not familiar with the rigger's knife, it was originally intended for sailors, fishermen, or others who deal with ropes, nets, and lines. The blade is a sheep's foot design to keep you from running it through your hand on a heaving deck, and features a very thick spine to allow hammering on it to drive the blade through thick cordage. The most important feature for me is that the second "blade" is actually a locking marlinspike. Turns out it is one of the handiest, most versatile tools I have ever found. I avoid multi-tools for two reasons: they don't have a marlinspike, and they ALWAYS pinch the hell out of my palm when I use the pliers/cutters function.
On non-work days, just my Schrade Old Timer pocket knife. with a flashlight in the glove box.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I've got a small swiss army knife on my key chain. It's come in handy so many times.

The knife gets me in trouble at airports everyonce in a while...

I leave mine at home. I'd hate to lose the little guy. PITA? Yes.

I've got a small 2AA led Maglite too but it needs a replacement part. And a multitool but it hasn't seen much action.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I always carry a folding knife...a nice ZT...also a SAK Super Tinker and a AAA Olight flashlight...I carry this stuff in my pockets. I always have my iphone but the flashlight is generally useless for a distance light.

In my car I have an emergency backpack that I can live out of for three days as well as a pack with clothing for my wife and I. Also a sleeping bag.

I've been stranded for hours in the middle of winter way up in Northern NY in the middle of the night for hours when my engine blew...I only had a pack of smokes...back in the mid '70's. I froze my ass off and ever since I've carried extra clothes, water, sleeping bag etc. in my trunk.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Does my pipe bag with 2-3 loaded pipes and extra lighter/pipe cleaners count? It goes everywhere I go pretty much.
I used to carry a small mag light with me but let the wife borrow it when she went on a ghost hunt at some abandoned hospital in TN. She also took are large mag light, my army flashlight and a couple cheap flashlights but they all ended up burning out, including the bulbs. Need to get some replacement bulbs for my mag lights.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
On my key ring, I've had one of those screwdriver disks from Sears since the early 1970s. That was useful many times through the years until I got the multitool around 2006 or 07. I also have a handcuff key on the ring.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@perdurabo- Well, I have a Springfield 1911A1 that lives on my belt sometimes, but the slide rails aren't quite sharp enough to open plastic packaging, and the light it gives off is sporadic at best. :)

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Perdurabo -

I wanted to focus on the other EDC tools. I was thinking of giving the title Gear Check, ala Nutnfancy, but that would include firearms. There's more to EDC than self-defense.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I always have a pipe tool and cigar cutter on me. Having an eight year old, I have used the poker on the pipe tool to undo many knotted shoelaces and I am also in great demand to open up all the kids' freeze pops after soccer games with my cigar cutter.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup! Never understood why concealed carry guys want the world to know. Seems to defeat the purpose. Then there is the government's and hacker's ability to track people down via their computer use. Just seems senseless and counterproductive to the element of surprise and security.
Back on track: In my vehicles are always an escape tool for punching glass and cutting seat belts.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Glass punch and seatbelt cutter - good advise. I'm lacking there.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Just seems senseless and counterproductive to the element of surprise and security."
How does the world know if any given person is carrying a firearm even if it is so stated on a web site? Do the internet police put an invisible sticker on your forehead? Does anyone/the government really care what most anyone is doing or posting on an internet pipe forum? Reminds me of Jerry and George debating whether or not they rose to the level of being a bombing target. This is tin-foil-hat thinking. A non-firearm EDC thread is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.