PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Hi, I just started smoking a pipe about 4 months ago. I chose the Churchwarden because of the look (a wizard pipe) since I am a modern alchemist wizard- retired from Stanford University physics Department as a physicist/engineer. So it goes with my whole wizard persona. I know sooner or later I will buy a more expensive pipe but still with the long churchwarden stem. Right now I am smoking Captain Black, Gold, Royal, and cherry. These are the only pipe tobaccos I could find in my little town. I just bought some Amphora aromatic off the internet and can't wait to try it when it gets to me. I know there are more expensive and better tobaccos out there, and I want to try them all.

I do use a charcoal filter since I will inhale a few times per bowl, and at my age, 61, I don't want my old lungs to get overwhelmed and quit on me lol. Some of the real expensive pipes look to pretty/beautiful to smoke, and I guess guys collect them & never use them. I want to start my own collection. This is my first pipe smokers forum. It looks very interesting & professional here. Thanks for allowing me to join. Archangel de Fuego.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Churchwardens have many fans. Welcome to the forum!
img_20160103_085359-600x450.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
Definitely get a Cobwarden (or "Cobbit" pipe as Missouri Meerschaum callse them). Maybe not ideal for all occasions, but it at least makes a fantastic travel pipe or something to smoke while out on the lake etc...

I have three of the Wizard model.
http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/smokingpipes.html

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome! Are you still in the Palo Alto area? There must be a pipe shop of some quality down there.
And, as a physicist, perhaps you can put to rest the notion that a long stem appreciably cools the smoke!

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Hi Jpmcwjr, Thanks for the welcome. I am not still in Palo Alto, I now live in the small town of Victorville. You are right about the long stem. Back in the days of Stanford, I worked on the Ronald Reagan Star Wars Project in 1984. Our job was to create a working prototype of a particle beam. Very distant from analyzing pipe stems and their coefficients. lol :puffpipe:

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Thinking about buying this churchwarden by Pipe Masters.

it is an upgrade from the cheep f.e.s.s. churchwarden I have.

Its one inch shorter at 14' than the 15' I now have. Comes with the stand. Its all wood,

Not a plastic stem. It costs twice as much as the f.e.s.s and I think it would make a good

second beginners pipe for me. What do you guys think? Than

/Users/angeldefuego/Desktop/s-l64.jpg

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Welcome to the community. If you want an all wood churchwarden, check out Flogglewerks, they make great pipes and you can even customize yours if you like with runes. If you want a cherry tobacco that doesn't doesn't bite and tastes great, try Cult Blood Red Moon. Enjoy your journey of discovery sir.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
img_0034-600x450.jpg

Not sure if this is a churchwarden it's 7 1/2 inches long, Trident RELAX mouthpiece 5 inches. Smokes great.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
Thanks Rolldog, I'll check it out. :)

There is a small pic of it on my Facebook timeline under the post: Zen and the art of pipe maintenance.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I want a churchwarden, too!
There are some nice looking pipes in this thread.
Its one inch shorter at 14' than the 15' I now have.
Dang! Do you have to get the neighbor to light it for you? :rofl:
Just playin', wizard. Don't turn me into a toad!
Jay :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.