PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Hey guys. I was thinking about carving my own pipe and I was wondering what the best wood is to start with?

Jul 15, 2011
Briar produces, at least I would imagine, the best result if you actually wanted to smoke it, but I have heard of some other guys who make pipes out of Walnut and Pear wood. I don't really know what would be good for pipe making beyond these.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Most fruit woods will give you a decent pipe. If you plan to get into doing briar the only way to learn is by carving briar. It is a completely different critter.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Briar is the standard, of course. Please, please PLEASE don't just pick up any old piece of wood and start carving as some can be quite toxic (for more details, check the internet). Fruit woods and olive wood are sometimes used, but don't quite have the same staying power as briar.
One thing to keep in mind when it comes to cherry wood... there is a pipe SHAPE called a "cherry wood", which is basically a poker with the stem angled up (like a branch angling up from the trunk of a tree). So a pipe being sold as a "cherry wood" might still be briar.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Please, please PLEASE don't just pick up any old piece of wood and start carving as some can be quite toxic
Good to know! I have heard that briar isn't very easy to start with. What about oak?

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
If you Just want to make a pipe to see if you enjoy it and for some practice at shaping by all means other woods are fine. If its to really get the feel of making pipes and something you might want to stick with keep in mind what Unclearthur says " briar is an entirely different critter"

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
The best infos you could possibly find on making your own pipes is on pipemakersforums.com
And I'd suggest starting with briar as well, it's an incredibly hard wood and turns completely different compared to other readily available woods.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Mr. Brog has a few oak pipes available, methinks. Should be alright, though I can't speak for the quality as I only have one of his pear wood pipes.

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
The best infos you could possibly find on making your own pipes is on pipemakersforums.com
Sadly, this forum seems to be offline. I realize this is a thread from 7 years ago and a lot can happen in 7 years....

Status
Not open for further replies.