PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindholmer

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Ahoy there, i have smoked oh, between 15 and 25 bowls in this here pipe.

I noticed somthing that I thought was a hair, so I poked around at it, and a piece of black stuff fell out of the side of the bowl. I then took out my phone and magnified the picture, and to my horror, there is what appears to be a crack in the cake to me?

Is this somthing i can fix, is it the start of a burnout, or i dont know.. This is my favorite pipe.. Of the two I own :'(

I hope you good folk can help me with this. :)
Lindholmer

It could just be a pit n the briar, which could possibly lead to a burn out. You can prevent that by mixing a little cigar ash with spit to make a cement of sorts, and cover the spot. It's called pipe mud. The thing that gets my attention most is the dark part on the outside of the pipe. Is that a design, or did it get dark while you were smoking it?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Lindholmer -- No worries. Cake will chip away like that routinely. Don't worry about it unless a big piece comes off, then just sand the remaining thick stuff down to match.

lindholmer

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Ok, i will try to make some mud. Just hope it wont fall out ^^,
The black parts are part of the design, its a Winsløw Crown :)
Seems like my pipe is taken off the danish pipe shop, but its basicly the same sort of rustication and color scheme as this one; http://www.danishpipeshop.com/product.asp?product=16497#.WK4QcG_hC_4

lindholmer

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
GeorgeD -- Thanks, I was super worried about this. :) Its still kindof unnearving not to know how stuff looks underneath the cake, or even how thick the cake is. I presume thos hairline cracks is allso normal then, like when i whipe down the inside of the bowl with isopropanol and it expands the cake somewhat, and then it evaporates making it shrink and so on?
The Mrs. complains so much about the smell that i kindof have to be whiping down the whole thing with isopropanol like every 3-4 smoke :|

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd put aside the isopropyl immediately. Wiping the bowl with a damp paper towel will have less residue, and will keep the cake buildup slow, but more solid. Loose, thick or crumbly cake is to be avoided.

heimedvw

Lurker
Aug 2, 2015
To me the location of that crack starting would cause me some concern. Any of the estate pipes that I have got with any burn out starting are more often just above the draw hole. Which is very close to where your pic's are showing. If it was mine I wouldn't stop smoking it....but it would give you a good excuse to pick up a few more pipes just to draw out your rotation so you are not putting as many bowls through the pipe you obviously enjoy. Just my 2 cents.

lindholmer

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Man, now im tempted to ream it out and start over, and really try to build cake above the drafthole or somthing

My other pipe, a BC, i have to say, it smokes better in terms of heat distribution, and the draft seems to be more evenly distributed aswell. If I somehow could extend the draft on this Winsløw Crown more to the middle, I think much of my worries would be gone. The pipe just feels to good in the hand, nice and heavy for its size, still easy to clench.. I dont know, it just clicked with me when i first saw it, like i was in love for the first time again ^^,
Anyway, I'v decided to contact my local pipe maker and let him have a look at it, if he has time. I figure its the best way to go about this, even tho the pipe isnt particularly expensive, it is part of me
Thank you for all the input you good folks have had :)

Pffft, don't worry about the cake. Just smoke it and enjoy it, soon enough you'll have to really start fighting back the cake by reaming it to continue using the pipe. But, it really doesn't matter. reaming it back so that you can build it up, is like getting a haircut to grow your hair long.

Just smoke, enjoy... :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good idea. You can also sand down the cake, and inspect the briar in the chamber. Then if the briar's intact, you build a bit of cake, but hard cake, not the flakey kind!

lindholmer

Lurker
Feb 22, 2017
Iv sanded it down to what seems to be the original coating in the bowl, but the part above the draft hole is somewhat crumeling away, i guess its just 2mm at most, but it annoys me so now im gonna try to make a pipe coating myself. Ground up some coal from thos pipe filters and mix it with somthing, alcohol or sugary water or somthing, i dont know yet ^^,

But i recon if i can build the wall out a wee bit, it should isolate the briar as good as the cake in the rest of the bowl.. Not to mention a more even cake

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I think you are over-obsessing about this- Looks like a small crack in the cake, would probably fill in on its own over time. Or just ream it out and start over. Even in the unlikely event the crack is in the wood, it probably wouldn't affect the smokability of or the life of the pipe. Relax and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.