PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tosmith10

Lurker
Jan 15, 2016
Newbie question here. What can I purchase or use to clean my pipes and how often should one do an "extensive" cleaning of a pipe? Thanks in advance for any advice and information.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Welcome to the forum. These gift sets are available at Smokingpipes.com, Aromatic, English or Virginia. They look like a good start with pipe cleaners, stem polish, pipe tool etc + tobacco too.
001-507-0032.jpg

Other than some alcohol and wax to use occasionally this would be a good start.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I just use fluffy and bristle pipe cleaners and a liquid cleaning solution to deep clean. And q-tips. Many folks use everclear or other high-proof liquor in place of a cleaning solution.
As far as how often, it really depends on how often you smoke a pipe and personal preference. I usually just do a deeper cleaning once the pipe starts tasting funky.
Also, a quick clean with a pipe cleaner between smokes goes a long way towards cleaning the pipe fresh.
There were a bunch of videos on YouTube showing cleaning methods and products, that would give a good visual reference for what to do.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hello and welcome.

You'll see plenty of options on how to clean your pipe from minimal to major overhaul. And rightfully so. There are lots of ways to clean a pipe but it all comes down to your smoking method and your preferred vision of "clean". I enjoy a pipe that is well seasoned so I go fairly minimal as far as maintenance. I like to use a pipe cleaner dipped in a bit of high proof alcohol to quickly swab out my stems and shank after about five to ten smokes. After a few days of drying, it's back in rotation.
Happy puffing

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I use fluffy pipe cleaners after every smoke and then every 4-6 weeks I "deep" clean with vodka soaked bristle cleaners. I remove cake build up as needed with my knife.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use hot water to rinse the chamber and airway. Dry with pipe cleaner and paper towel. So, that's all you need.
If your chamber and mortise tend to stay damp right after a bowl, you'll want to deep clean with wet coffee grounds- drying for a couple of days- or the alcohol and salt if deeply rancid.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What do you need? Pipe cleaners.
How often? Right after every smoke .
How to clean?
-After smoking, dump the ash.

(alternatively, if you need/want to build cake do this first then dump---cover the top of the bowl and shake. This will help distribute ash to the walls of the bowl)
-take off the stem--run the pipe cleaner through it until it comes out white and dry. This may take more than 1 cleaner.
-fold a pipe cleaner in half and run in through the shank to the edge of the inner bowl , continue until it comes out white and dry, repeat as necessary.
That's it.
What about deep cleaning?
If you follow the above measures immediately after smoking you can go years without deep. Caveat- I don't know if this works for heavily cased aromatics, but it does with everything else.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After every smoke I run a fluffy pipecleaner through the stem and a bristled one through the shank. Beyond that about after every say 20 - 30 bowls I will do a deep clean with the same pipecleaners only with pure alcohol this time.
It's all pretty straightforward really and becomes part of one's routine.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.