PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hi Folk,
You may have seen my (untitled) FIRST beginner revelation: Drying Tobacco, in which I found out how important and revolutionary drying tobacco adequately can be. It's now time for my second in a series of Beginner Revelations(tm).
When you dry your tobacco, and even if you don't, packing TOO LIGHTLY can lead to as many difficulties as packing too tightly. Yes, I have begun to pack much more lightly, for some reason, and during one unfortunate meeting with my friend Escudo, I encountered...the dreaded tongue burn. I do not think this was tongue bite, the sort of chemical assault on mucous membranes based on mouth chemistry, but an actual burn, manifested by a small, rough and sore spot somewhat centrally on the tongue. The discomfort lasted a couple of days, followed by a dry feeling in that area as it's resolving. Once back on my feet...er....tongue....ah, whatever, once I resumed light piping, I chose Gaslight, and I noticed that my tongue was a bit sensitive....and then I realized that I had lightly packed again!. Tamping modestly to reduce that wide-open draw feeling to somewhat restricted (think water in a straw or a bit more), seemed to do 2 things: Keep the bowl from needing multiple relights, and keep my tongue from GETTING multiple re-lights.
Revelation #2a is that I have found that using my Kiribi Toma, I REALLY do NOT need to actually touch the flame to the tobacco....yes, I know you all said that, but......N00b.....I blame myself. Once I realized that "lightin' this puppy up" can be accomplished with the butane flame 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the tobacco surface, the re-lights of my tongue decreased as well.
I hope this makes sense to some. I thought I'd post a series of n00b discoveries (discoveries...yeah....you all have been telling us this forever...) to reinforce the good advice and wisdom that the forum members provide with some practical, beginner experiences.
Anyway....there you go. YMMV
Cheers,
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I'm baaakkk....
I should have added to this post: During my current smoke (Gaslight), I'm finding that I'm experiencing a feeling inside my mouth as though I had slurped a bit of Tabasco(tm)...(something I tend to do on occaision)..a sort of pinching, not really burning sensation on the inside of my lips and in my mouth in general. This lasts for a while once I'm done smoking and then disappears....might this be the "dreaded" red Virginia sensitivity some have reported?? It's not a big deal...just thought I'd ask. I smoke my pipes cool...not much warmer than an unused, unlit pipe...warmth in the hand usually very minimal.
Thanks!
CW

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey Cap'n. I do indeed. Usually icewater, sometimes a nice root beer but the carbonation sometimes is a bit too much.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I get the same sometimes. It might be red virginias, but I am not sure about it yet.

I totally agree on the packing. When a ribbon cut or rubbed out blend is really dry, you can pack it relatively tight. Especially if your pipe is shallow, like an apple or rhodesian type.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
With a lightly packed bowl you have less buffering the flame from your mouth and need to be a bit more wary. Holding the flame above the bowl certainly reduces the heat that you draw down, as does using a something that burns at a lower temp, like matches or a hemp wick. Hovering a flame source can foul a bowl rim quickly. You can combat this to a degree by moistening the rim prior to lighting.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Also, not all pipes are made equal. Someone here mentioned having to pack tighter when the pipe has a more open draught, like cobs. Conversely then, methinks, pipes with filters or smaller diameter holes would call for looser packing.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
I have to pack my "shortstop" cob super light...basically sprinkle some in and then tap the bowl to settle it. I also have to tamp it frequently and the trick for me on that pipe is to lightly draw at the same time as I tamp. It's such a tiny bowl...the bowl diameter is about the same as a nail head...but it lasts me about 20 mins, which is about perfect if I absolutely need to decompress for a few minutes during the workday. Been about my only experience with cobs so far is with that tiny thing. Works good though.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
OK, in the spirit of enquiry, I am going to dry some tobacco far more than I would normally. Tonight I will smoke some HH Old Dark Fired. Straight from the tin, could the esteemed members please advise me what the adequately-dried tobacco should feel/look like? The RH where I am right now is probably at least 80%, probably nearer 90%.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Happy, I don't have a moisture reader or anything like that, but I usually dry it out for about 30 minutes. It should spring back slightly when pressed, but not crumble away. I know that is not very scientific. Again, your tastes may vary and might even depend on the blend.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Well yes, no-one is being scientific. I usually just leave it on the coffee table for half an hour too. All this talk of putting in the oven, or under a heat lamp is very strange to me. So I've put some HHODF outside the window and it is now, well yesterday I would have said "in a sorry state" but we'll see how it goes. Will report back

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I usually dry overnight unless in a hurry. Then it's ten seconds in the microwave.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
For blends , I take what looks like a bowlful and spread it out , 10 to 15 minutes works for me at around 80 percent RH outside , but maybe less inside .
I left a Kendal flake on top of my warm toaster , it has a flip up bun warmer , maybe a few minutes got it to where I though it was ready and bazinga , glorious smoking , burning cool and slow all the way down for a good 20 minute smoke.
As a noob , another trick is to use smallish pipe bowls , move the flame over the entire surface to catch more , less waste as we explore and seems to cooperate in the light .

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
CW, I went through the same thing, experimenting with open draw and packing, and still after many years have a sensitive tongue even though I always dry everything, I have tried every packing method known to man. I definitely have a sensitivity to the reds, but I find as Jim Inks says drinking water with icebergs really to helps. The strange thing is when I was in my 20's (years ago) I never had a problem even if I smoked like a freight train.

IMHO if you are prone to this kind of thing if you have scorched your tongue I suggest taking a break for a day or two to let it heal, or it will continue.

One of the joys of this hobby for me is realizing it is an ever-changing journey and experimenting with what you do is part of the fun. (I am still not above a mindless codger stuff method once in a while either.) :lol:

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
One of the YouTube tutorials suggests drawing a little air in with the pipe smoke
.. relax a little and it cools down

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Zen man , relaxation 11:30
Gray Bailey , one of the coolest dudes ever , a modern day philosopher
https://youtu.be/13HppvluaJ0
Beard guy

Status
Not open for further replies.