PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Good morneveningernoonight :D
Something has been on my mind now for a while and it's about tobacco rotation.

I read all and its opposite about it, and also that every smoker is different. But most of you are quite used to the ropes.
That being said, being quite a beginner myself, I'd like to have some more opinions on

"how I should proceed, being a beginner, to help me develop a sense of the tobaccos etc." I don't want to miss something because I am doing something wrong.
On one side, I have started a little collection of tobaccos, different blends, different types of blends, but in the end, every day becomes an nightmare. What tobacco to choose to go for the day? And usually, I have to choose 2 pipes to go with it, and I am starting to mix everything. And now I am a little lost.
Should I stick to one tobacco for some time? One type of blend ?

As a beginner, not as an experienced smoker, what would be the right way ?
Again, I know every smoker is different, and I also read countless times that it's a trial and error hobby, I get that.

But there must be a SOP of some sort, right ?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I smoke what I have a hankering for. As you build a cellar or selection there will be more tobaccos that you are drawn to or crave at certain times. And as you find things you love the great thing is that every smoke will be a good one. I have about 5 I smoke regularly but about 40 to choose from depending on the mood.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The pipe is supposed to be enjoyable, not stressful. Do not over think it. Just pick a blend you enjoy or want to try and smoke it. If you are going to get deep into the process I would suggest reading a well written review of a blend you already enjoy and try to discern the nuances the reviewer points out.
I'm a pipe smoker, not a collector, not an aficionado of tobacco trying developing my palate. I just find some blends I like and smoke them. Depending on what you wish to accomplish should determine your approach.
Do not let the pipe smoke you. Just relax, enjoy the learning experience and do as you wish. It's a personal experience with no real boundaries.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Should I stick to one tobacco for some time? One type of blend ?

As a beginner,I would strongly suggest you keep it really simple. Start with one or maybe two blends of the same type. Smoke the whole pouch/tin. Get to know it. Learn technique. Take your time. There's no hurry. Enjoy. :puffy:

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I agree with Warren too. There is no right or wrong, just what you like. Enjoy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When in doubt. Open your cellar, close your eyes, reach in and smoke what ever you come out with.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like to look up the blend and see what tobaccos are in it before smoking it. That way I know what leaf/leaves I'm smoking and get a taste for it so to speak. After awhile you will be able to differentiate the different tobaccos without looking it up. This will also help you to weed out the tobaccos you like or don't care for. It will take time so go slow and enjoy the journey. :puffy:

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I'm a pipe smoker, not a collector, not an aficionado of tobacco trying developing my palate. I just find some blends I like and smoke them. Depending on what you wish to accomplish should determine your approach.
Do not let the pipe smoke you. Just relax, enjoy the learning experience and do as you wish. It's a personal experience with no real boundaries.
This says it all for me. I am new also, on my second week with a pipe. I have 2 pipes currently and 4 tobacco blends at my disposal. I just packed a bowl of Frog Morton On The Town in an MM cob Legend. The blend suited my fancy after a long day at work. Now it is time to relax and that blend called to me tonight.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Thanks for the answers, a bit of everything, but they did give me some insights on the matter. Thanks !! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.