PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Before Lord Of The Rings there was Wenhall pipes. Value priced quality briars. I am not a huge fan of the movies but the first moment I laid eyes on images of this 12" Churchwarden with it's heavily oxidized stem and briar in need of refinishing I had to have it. This pipe was made years before the movies and I find it so similar is shape to Lord Of The Ring Pipes.
It was produced sometime in the late 1970 through early 1980's because Wenhall went out of business. The stem is stamped 'ITALY". By unconfirmed information Gigi and Cesare Barontini were mentioned as suppliers. Just thought I'd share some images because I'm quite proud of it. The pipe has a nice wide open draw too. I do have some more buffing and polishing before it's fully finished.
wen1.jpg

wen2.jpg

wen5.jpg

wen3.jpg

wen4.jpg

wen6.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Peter Jackson's version certainly sparked some interest in churchwardens, but my pedantic side feels compelled to point out that Ralph Bakshi did an animated version of LOTR in 1978 that included plenty of long-stemmed pipes. And the books have been around since the late 30's to the mid 40's... :D
That said, it's a gorgeous pipe - thanks for sharing!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice job on the pipe! It's a beauty! Not a LOTR fan? Read the books, the movie is a good representation, but not why LOTR is so loved. They were rated the best books of the last century with only the Bible outselling them.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.