PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Really like the acorn/Dublin style of pipe. Here is a cruddy one picked up for $17 shipped on ebay before's n afters. Its not perfect as I really only cleaned it up, and waxed it. I do not have shellac to fill in the scratches, but it is on the way. REALLY looking forward to that. A real thin coat of shellac should get the pipe looking new again.
_57-21-600x450.jpg

_57-22-600x450.jpg

_57-23-600x450.jpg

imgp7608-600x400.jpg

imgp7615-600x400.jpg

imgp7617-600x400.jpg

rx2man

May 25, 2012
OMG, I am so out of it, its not a Acorn/Dublin, duh bulldog. I take neurontin for a back injury, its strong stuff not strong like Oxycodin but a strong nerve interuptor, used for epileptics as well. The problem is it makes you a little stupid. The aka is morontin. And I rarely figure out the it hit me til someone says something.....like bulldog lol. Its ok though I would rather be a dum dum and ignorant of the fact and relativly pain free vs alert and hating life. Herniated discs and pinched nerves is about the worst long term pain I have ever dealt with. Stitches and staples are nothing compared to nerve pain.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
And yeh the clean up is not bad but as I learn more about pipe making and restoration you figure out more ways to make something better. The thin coat of shellac will just fill in the small scratches and scrapes.
I completly by accident figured out I was buffing to fast and dropped it down. Now my pipes are super shiny after a wax n buff.

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Don't know that shellac will fill scratches, it may cover them though. Shellac is a finish and sealer. You did a nice job cleaning that pipe.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
thanks guys, I have some shellac flakes coming from shellac.net, also some 190 proof denatured alcohol. Was hoping the shellac would fill in the tiny scratches. I was reading about a 1 pound cut on the pipe makers forums and maybe that is too thin for what I was thinking. And of course you dont want it too think, make the pipe look like plastic and it would not be able to breathe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great dog. My first pipe was a Tinder Box St. Ives, a smooth bent pot sitter with a saddle stem, which I still

have and still smokes great. What I call a one-owner estate pipe. Yeah, don't seal up that bowl too much.

You want a nice finish, but one that breathes. Nice job.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Stem turned out good. Oxyclean bath took care of the stem. Unfortunatly I spilled some of the oxyclean solution and did not realise it, that messed up the finish good. So now have to refinish it. Stain and shellac. :(

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Thanks Durham. coming from Mr estate refurbisher thats a good compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.