PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I might be a convert to the hemp/bee's wax lighting method. Lately been using matches, but the controllability of the "soft" flame is obvious. Nice video presentation.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I wasted money a few years ago on hemp wick. I just don't see why people would want to Light a piece of hemp and then Light their pipe.
I have a better method. I use a match to light my Zippo lighter. I then use the lighter to light another match. I then use the match to light the hemp. Then I use the hemp to light my tobacco.... :wink:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I just don't see why people would want to Light a piece of hemp and then Light their pipe.
Temperature of wick flame vs lighter flame and its effect on lighting pipe tobacco may be the answer.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Bic lighter works just fine.
A good method is just to take the hemp (which is really beeswax covered hemp, you can make it yourself, easier to buy), and wrap the lighter with it, that was you can light the wick with the lighter and go from there. It's a smoother, cooler light, and completely neutral taste, I use matches usually, but have moved almost completely away from lighters. Hemp lighters are extremely popular with the cannabis community for the natural taste and lack of chemicals in the burn (and hemp will burn longer without getting out like a hotter for the frequent relights).
You can actually buy bic style lighters with a spool for hemp built in to dispense and light easily, one flick, your wick is lit and you go, with no fussing about with multiple items.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I keep a heavy glass ashtray beside my laptop and I keep my ass in the computer chair about all day. When I used matches exclusively, that ashtray had to be dumped frequently. Now all it contains is ash and maybe just a little dottle and requires much less maintenance because the wick/lighter combo eliminates dead matches. (and singed fingers and holes in clothing are minimized and flying bits of sulfur are gone.)

Status
Not open for further replies.