Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Let me preface this by saying that I am in no way a beer connoisseur, but I do enjoy a good brew at the end of a stressful day or at the end of the work week. I picked this up in a "Mix A 6" sampler pack at the local Binny's (for those lucky enough to have them locally) and this stuff is one of the best beers I have had in a long time. Classified as an Amber Ale, it has none of that bitter bite at the end of a swig, but the flavor is nice and clean, very refreshing, little hint of some sweet backbone, almost caramel like in quality, and a little bit of fruitiness, like a slight hint of lemon or some other citrus fruit, and it's got a nice kick to it. I really wish I had another bottle of it because I think this stuff would pair well with a nice burley or even a Vaper blend. For anyone who enjoys a quality brew, you should really get yourself some of this stuff. Very nice indeed!

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
OK, I've got to wonder if this led to "Louie's Demise" from this world, or simply from the brewery where he worked.
Is it at all hoppy? Here in Seattle, if it ain't hoppy, it ain't ale - still, I'll look for it at my local liquor superstore, where you can also mix & match six-packs.

Jul 15, 2011
Is it at all hoppy? Here in Seattle, if it ain't hoppy, it ain't ale
If I remember correctly (again, not a connoisseur), "hoppy" refers to that bitter twang in the aftertaste, am I right? If bitter is what you're looking for, its not here. It is incredibly smooth though, and very tasty. Gonna head out today and see if I can find a six pack of it.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation, I always like to try a new beer. Some other beers you may like to try (in order of my preference for them):
*Shinerbock (this is a Texas beer and can be hard to find out of the state)

*Shocktop (they have a variety of flavors all of which I enjoy, often mixed with fruit, but have a great Belgian white for a more basic flavor)

*Left Hand: Their milk stout is out of this world good but is a bit on the bitter side (like overdone bread crust)
Edit: The above are wheat based beers and relatively hops free. I'm not a big fan of the herbal bitterness that comes with a high hops content.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
The Pale Ales are generally a lot less hoppy than the cherished India Pale Ales (IPA). The fruity/citrusy flavor is also common for a good, smooth ale. Amber Ales generally have a little more roasted malts in them making them sweeter and darker in color.
I can have an Amber or Pale Ale in the summer, but also living here in the Pacific Northwest, I'm a big IPA and stout fan.

Aug 14, 2012
Just tried draft Sam Adams summer beer, at Donatella's, my favorite restaurant. I have to call it great. Much better than their regular brew, which is a little too tasty for me. My favorite beer is something I have not had in 38 years because it is unavailable here (this is a tip for an entrepreneur who might want to import it). It is called Dusseldorf Altbier, made in Dusseldorf Germany. There are several brands, and it is best on draft. You go into one of the many beer cellars in that city and the waitress doesn't ask you what you want, she just asks how many. And by the way, a German beer cellar is a great place to spend a few hours. There is a communal spirit I have never experienced in an American bar.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
OK, I'm not a big beer drinker. On occasion I like Flat Tire, Moose Drool, Mac & Jack, and a Salvatore.
Beer does make a great substitute for water in pancake mixes. It gives it a yeast flavor. I use a Bud Lite for that, no sense in wasting the good stuff.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
If I remember correctly (again, not a connoisseur), "hoppy" refers to that bitter twang in the aftertaste, am I right?
Here I have to call you wrong my good friend! :)
Hops contribute to the bitterness of a beer, but added late in the boil or as a dry hop they add little to no bitterness and can impart wonderful floral aromas or citrus and piney notes to the flavor that can transcend the old hoppy = bitter argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.