Pipes Magazine » Food & Drink - Restaurants and at Home - Recipes Too

Tags:   

Beer and Pipe Smoking

(24 posts)
  1. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you guys feel about having a beer together with a pipe bowl. I really enjoy both, but I did notice that if I have more than a couple of beers and a couple of bowls it accentuates my tongue bite, and diminishes my taste of the tobacco - regardless of what blend I smoke. Have you had that happen to you?

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually have a beer with my after work smoke, some times a few more with no ill affects

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tongue bite only really happened to me when I started and I rarely get bit anymore. I have always smoked when I have been drinking and can't really say that I noticed it making the bite worse. It can certainly affect one's ability to taste, though. This is proven by the fact that after a skinful I can often be seen shoving forkfuls of the filthiest and most greasy doner kebab between my salt starved lips. This is something you are very unlikely to see if I'm sober.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I did drink beer with my pipe I found it caused the blend to turn too bitter to suit me. Now that I can't drink anything with alcohol in it, due to my gall bladder being removed, I stick with coffee or tea when I have a bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer a nice oolong tea with my pipe.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Tea or liquor here. I save the beer for steak or a pizza.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No beer or wine with a pipe for me - too acidic.
    I prefer dark distilled spirits, water or tea.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Never noticed any problems. I conquered the tounge bite issue by switching to "quality" tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nice creamy milk stout with heavy roast and full body works great on a cold winter evening with a light to medium english / latakia blend. Also, during the warmer months I was really digging saisons with a peppery yeast paired with a straight virginia flake or VA/Per. I found the flavors very complimentary of each other.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer no alcohol when smoking as it sends the cancer rate through the roof. To each their own. Keep your smoking within the guidelines and it keeps you right at the non-smoking norm.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beer and Pipe Smoking
    Is that like eating and breathing(Same to me)...

"the weez"...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just posted drinking green tea in another thread, then added a half-shot of brandy in reaction to the sub-zero cold outside (and not "good" high-end brandy, just a little Christian Bros.). Bad dog.

Anywho (and remember that we've all got our own ideas of the perfect combo), I prefer cigars with beer, cigarettes with wine, and smoke-cured pipe with distillation product. For the pipe forum, Latakia with whiskey and Kentucky with rum and brandy. There's no custom involved and it's all a matter of taste, no method to madness. I'd be an asshole to impose dogma on best combinations of drink and smoke. So would anyone else, so careful searching this info on discussion boards on the 'net.

If I'm swilling beer all night (and in making suggestions for those of you fellow fools who know you're going to have more than a couple on a given evening), I like to start with whatever fancy shit I'm really digging on a given week, and have two bowls of something mild-to-medium and cheap as I continue (like Carter Hall or Prince Albert) that I won't burn my mouth out on.

Dumb party tips.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not burning your mouth is a big thing ... I am not all that experienced with pipe smoking, so when I have that extra glass or pint, well I do tend to smoke a bit faster. I was a cigarette smoker for many years, and I suppose that when I drink a bit more than I should, I go back to old habits. So smoking mild when partying is actually not as dumb as one may think ophiuchus

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Alcohol strips the oral mucosa of protection against oral diseases associated with smoking, so I prefer not to combine the two.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beer is good, but I prefer a Campari & soda with the juice of at least 1/4 lemon, with a pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beer feels like it coats my mouth, so that might make me puff harder to get flavor from the pipe, then cause tongue bite. I like a crisp IPA with a pipe, but beer bloats me like a beach ball, so I don't drink it much. I like hot and iced tea, ice or chilled water, the rare soda (watching the sugar and avoiding the non-sugar sweeteners). Coffee I drink with a little milk, and that coats my mouth too. With a pipe, I want the beverage to cleanse my pallid, and not impart too much flavor.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't had beer in years, but frankly, I don't think I'd want to drink it during the smoke. I think it interferes with my ability to taste the tobacco. I might have a cold beer after.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the Germans/Europeans have been doing it for a couple of years.
    Do what tastes good to you.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was a beer geek long before it was cool. I brewed my own 30 years ago so I have some experience here.

While I greatly enjoy a hop forward... VERY hop forward beer, I find IPA's unsatisfactory with a pipe.

If I am going to have a beer at home with a bowl, I choose Guiness, in the can. The nitrogen they use is much smoother, less carbonation equals a more rewarding smoke for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. sdcowboy

sdcowboy

Login to Send PM

Two of my favorite things...a beer and a pipe. I've never noticed an increase in tongue discomfort. I think it depends on the brew and smoking cadence more than the tobacco. Lighter lager beers tend to be a little bit more crisp on the palate than darker full-bodied beers. When enjoying a pipe, I like to pair it with something dark such as Sam Adams or Michelob Amber Bock. The fuller tasting beers tend to enhance the taste of certain tobaccos, while the lighter beers tend to compete with the flavors.

It's similar to pairing coffee with a pipe. The rich coffee flavors tend to complement the blend I'm smoking rather than compete with it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beer's fine, port, coffee, they all usually are fine to my worn out palate.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. kirkland

kirkland

Login to Send PM

Never a problem for me. But I drink only German beers...as they adhere to The German Beer Purity Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

"The Foodbabe" speaks about funky additives in other beers! I choose to avoid them but hey thats just me. It seemes people in the US love their Coors and Bud light, ACK !
    http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

I avoid beer also, save it for my meal. I usually have at least water to sip, or my go to is one of the small cans of Dr. Pepper hehehe

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. kirkland

kirkland

Login to Send PM

Beer is my meal !

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, supdog, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969