PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
As the title mentions, I have been smoking a pipe for 16 years now, and have discovered pipe smoking all over again. A coworker/friend of mine got back into pipe smoker after a long hiatus (20 years!!!!) and has taught me a few things:
1) English Blends - I dabbled with a few English blends over the years, but my wife hates the smell. So I mostly smoked Aromatics. However, I discovered the absolute joy of good English blends. For some reason, Samuel Gawith Commonwealth and Smoker's Haven 20th Anniversary have really appealed to me. So I have been smoking it recently. Of course, I smoke it away from my wife. When I am nearby, I will smoke my aromatics especially Lane 1Q which is a milder aromatic (and my first tobacco)
2) Proper smoking technique - Throughout my pipe smoking endeavor, I have taken shortcuts. Like, not doing a charring light... or cleaning my pipes with pipecleaners on a regular basis.. or not tamping throughout my smoke. Now when I smoke, I tamp when needed, clean my pipes regularly, and rotate my briars to allow them to rest. I have learned the Meerschaum pipes can be real work horses.
3) Identify the pipes I own - I have purchased pipes over the 16 years and never really identified them. I realized that in my collection (about 17 pipes) I own some nice ones. Peterson... Nording... Boswell... SMS... Joby... Stanwell... I have gone through my collection and cleaned them up and now properly display them. I plan to pay more attention to them. I also hope to pick up a Dunhill.. or a GBD... or more Petersons...
So even a pipe smoker who smoked for a while can learn.
Happy Smoking

Jason

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks my friend... pipe smoking took on a whole new dimension of enjoyment.
Now if I can just get my wife to agree :)
Jason

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
This is pretty much where I was a year ago. Hadn't smoked more often than once a year since about 2000.
You've got a much better collection of pipes than I had, though!
Check out this thread, it might help you figure out a few more blends to try
Now, what to tell the wife ... I have no idea, good luck :lol:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome back to the fold and forum. I've been smoking pipes for 42 years and have learned more our hobby from this forum than ever before. You're right about it never being too late to learn. Enjoy your time here and visit often. You never know what tidbit may show up.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Your thread reminded me of why I love it here. So many knowledgeable people. As a new pipe smoker, I feel like i am learning things the right way from the start. :)

Jul 12, 2011
Welcome back brother, also don't forget about MM cobs, they are

also great smokers, and can help give the extra rest times to briars

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. I also had a lay off and when I came back it was to this site. I have learned tons and am still learning. I don't think anyone will ever know everything there is to know about pipe smoking and it is one of the things that really excites me. I probably don't go a full week without learning something new and useful.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Smoking Dragon:
I will probably be getting some MM Cobs sometime in the near future.
Jason

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have smoked a pipe since the early 70s. I came to this site to learn how to more enjoy my pipe. I have discovered that I know relatively nothing about pipe smoking. I have some catching up to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.