PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
My favorite food in UK, bar none, was the beef and ale pies that you find in the pubs. I think I could live off of that stuff forever. The best one I had was in a quaint little pub across from Westminster Abbey. Seems like it was called the Old Star or something.
This recipe is the closest I've found to what they offered in that pub. It is not quick and easy, which makes me wonder how those pubs churn out so many each day. Kudos to the chefs!
Give it a try....you won't be disappointed. :wink:
British Beef and Stout Pie
Ingredients:

2 lbs sirloin, trimmed and cubed into 3/4 “ pieces

3 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1 large sweet onion

1 garlic clove, minced

1 Guinness Stout

1 Tbsp tomato paste

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

4 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced

¾ cup beef broth

1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

½ tsp dried thyme

Sea salt (to taste)

Course ground black pepper (to taste)

1 egg, beaten to glaze crust
Directions:

In a large bowl, season the beef with salt and pepper. Then, toss in flour to coat each piece evenly.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add beef in small batches and cook until brown. Place browned beef in large sauce pan.

Add a little more oil to the skillet, and sauté the onions over medium heat until softened.

Add the mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook until mushrooms begin to brown.

Transfer to saucepan with beef.

Stir in the Guinness, beef broth, Worchestershire, tomato paste, and thyme, and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 ½ hours.

Transfer mixture to pie dish., and let cool.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll out puff pastry to about 1/8” thick.

Cover pie with pastry, and pinch edges. Trim off any excess, and use it for decorations.

Make hole in center, then brush beaten egg onto pastry.

Place pie dish on baking sheet.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
beefpie3-600x450.jpg

beefpie4-600x450.jpg

And, yes....I cooked this. I'm not just another "purty face!" :lol:

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Hmmmm well I know what tomorrows dinner is going to be now. Now if I only had four cans of Guinness lol oh wait I can buy those tomorrow. What a great excuse.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Being a cooking hobbyist, I will definitely try it. SWMBO and I spent much of our time munching on Cornish Pasties, and getting turned off at the very thought of steak and kidney pie, but this one looks good. The menu is planned for this week, so I may not get to it for a few days, but it's definitely going to be on the menu. Thanks for a great idea.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Mmmm good old fashioned pub food... I've got a lump of this sitting in my freezer myself. Wouldnt use sirloin over here in the UK though, too expensive. We use shoulder or shin cause it stews well and is a cheaper cut :)

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
ranger: That looks and sounds AMAZING. I do have a question though: is there a crust on the bottom of the pan, or is there only a top crust? The directions don't mention lining the pan with crust before adding the filling.

Dec 24, 2012
I had the same question about the bottom and whether there is crust there. I like crust on the bottom, but how do you ensure it won't get soggy?

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I had the same question about the bottom and whether there is crust there. I like crust on the bottom, but how do you ensure it won't get soggy?
Blind baking :) mould the raw pastry into the bottom and sides of the baking dish, cover it with a layer of greaseproof paper and put ceramic baking balls on top of that to stop it rising, then bake till golden. then fill etc, put the lid on and bake again

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
ranger: That looks and sounds AMAZING. I do have a question though: is there a crust on the bottom of the pan, or is there only a top crust? The directions don't mention lining the pan with crust before adding the filling.

This particular pie does not have a bottom crust. I would probably like that better, but was not wanting to risk ruining the recipe. Surprisingly, it was very good without.
Let me know what you think, if you try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.