Bee Line lighter -- anyone ever use this?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
9 Fresh Winslow Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Just wondering if anyone has tried the "...organic, logical alternative to butane lighters and matches"?
See here.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
seems to me like it's just a hemp wick with nice packaging. I'm pretty partial to my zippo, but I would give this a try if given the chance

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There was a thread on this product a while ago. Seems to me that if you need something to light it, it becomes a superfluous item in the man bag.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks. I searched for a possible previous thread, but was unsuccessful. I'll try again. Thanks!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Errrr am i missing something here, you use a lighter or match to light a wick and then light your pipe with the wick? Why not just light your pipe with the lit match or lighter. Surely this is just adding another superfluous step to the process?

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
There is hardly a point to this item other than capitalizing on the "Go Green" mentality, and the general guilt people expect smokers to have.
Unless that honey/hemp mixture actually does make the first 2 seconds of a pipe better. Which case it wouldn't be too annoying to use, but I used hemp papers once, and they were rubbish, can't imagine why the wick would be good.
Oh and just a little aside. . . hemp may be all natural but if you get right down to it, so is metal, so is butane, and so is (cotton?) wick

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks, cortezattic, for posting that link! Very informative.
Currently, when my pipe burns down deeper in the bowl and I want to relight, I have 4 choices --
1. Use my Zippo pipe lighter and "pull" down the flame. I don't like to do this because the flame is hot and uncomfortable. Plus, I do not want to buy a different type of pipe lighter at this time.

2. Use a match. I don't do this because I just do not like the odor -- some childhood thing, I guess.

3. Use my Bic lighter by turning it upside down. I don't like doing this, although I do it often.

4. Light another object and insert it down into the pipe.
I use the 4th method. Right now, I light little "strips" of pine lightwood ("lightern") that I have splintered off (I live in the country and this stuff is all over my property). The strip burns brightly and fragrantly (to me) and makes for an easy relight. I blow out the lightwood flame and set the splinter aside for future use. Frequently, I use this method for the first pipe lighting and relights.
I was thinking that the Bee Line might be an interesting alternative, since I'm already going through the motions of using a "3rd party" lighting system.
I know this may sound weird, but we're all weird in some way. Or am I weird to think that? :)

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Those "enviro lights" would be good, but all my pipe smoking adventures take place outside. I have to challege the weather situation on a daily basis....Zippo to the rescue!! :puffy:

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
forsooth - Get it. The ability to direct a perfectly even flame at will with these wicks is worth having. They are dirt cheap and can extend the life of any fuel driven lighter significantly. Plus - you'll taste no fuel or sulfur when applying flame.
You can generally find any type beeswax hemp wick at a head shop, but I've found the Bee Line brand to be particularly good. If you write them they will send you some free samples.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Just seems superfluous to me. Maybe if I was camping or backpacking but still probably not.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
I have a brass "trench lighter" that is multi-fuel. I use that most times with no flavoring added.

You can place me solidly in the camp of "this was the answer to a question no one asked".

Status
Not open for further replies.