PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I've been wanting to know how one can become more involved with the pipe smoking community.

As there are not any pipe clubs near me, I get a little restless not being able to get more involved.

I am a proud member of this community and I plan to attend the Kansas City pipe show, yet I'm still somewhat unsatisfied with my current contributions.

Although I may never be the notorious Kevin Godbee and I'm new to the hobby (did not intend for that to rhyme), I would still like to give back and possibly become more educated on the wonderful sport of pipe smoking.

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples through things that they do themselves?

Maybe it's the boy scout in me, but I have the desire to stand up and do more.

One idea I thought of while typing this was becoming a source of help for other new pipe smokers as I become educated myself. Funny how typing something out can get the engine running and allow for more thoughts to flow freely!

I also considered writing a book but I lack the creativity along with the attention span required to do that. :P

Anyway, maybe some of you can provide me with some guidance as I seek a remedy to this problem.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Go down to your local B&M, buy some tobacco, and sit around and enjoy a few bowls with the people who come in. There is always good conversation and company.

And of course helping and recruiting newbies is always a good one too!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Be patient. After you have been a pipe smoker for a while, your increased knowledge of pipes, pipe smoking and the pipe community may help you to start a pipe club, write a blog, or even a book. The opportunities will become apparent to you as you become ready.
In the mean time, just be the best person you can be. You already have a good start by being sober. That may not seem like doing much for the pipe community, but it is, so continue. Be honest with people. Consistently treat everyone with genuine human kindness. Follow the "golden rule".
It may take a long time to see the results, but someday people who have known you will say to themselves, "I want to be like Mr. Wazny... and he is a pipe smoker."

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
I've found my self in a similar situation as Waznyf and for now just answer people's questions (which are frequently asked when I'm in public) as best i can and in a friendly manner. If i can build up enough interest i want to start a club in the area (any suggestions with this task would be much appreciated...right now i think my biggest hurtle is finding someone with or gaining the necessary experience).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do you have sales experience? In what part of the country do you live?

Are you good with people? Are you a self-starter and highly motivated?

I'm franchising my business; and you could make millions helping me unload sell these.

Plate.jpg

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Here is an article on Starting Your Own Pipe Club.
Edit - And these articles might help: Pipe Clubs.
Thank you Philip that resource was quite helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.