PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
She always likes to surprise me for my birthday. This year she found a Star Wars DvD to complete my collection (I wanted this particular edition because it has the original theatrical release - you know, before Lucas messed with it and added a bunch of CGI). She also got me the complete collection of my favorite Bond, Roger Moore.
Moore Bond, best Bond! Or, maybe that's just because he was the Bond I really grew up with...
Anyway, my gal is really quite special (pure Awesomesauce). She always goes out of here way to get me something I really want. She's a keeper and I plan to keep her!
img_20140902_1229434461-600x337.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Where did you find that and are there more of them?! I hate watching the trilogy with all the added junk. Give me the original cut any day, but it seems to only exist now on VHS. Also on the subject of James Bond, I think Connery is the best Bond. I would rank Moore's third best behind Connery and Craig. Just one fan's opinion.

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
Wow, very cool! your a lucky man. I agree with cmdr, Connery was the best bond but I would rank Moore second. I remember my parents taking me to a drive in movie theatre and watching the original Star Wars when it was first released, oh the memories of my youth.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Where did you find that and are there more of them?

They are the Limited Edition ones from 2006 on DVD. They do contain the originals but in a wanky aspect ratio. Still your best bet for dvd Star wars. They can be found on Amazon or Ebay.
Congrats oklansis, she's a keeper.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'll wait for Dosmey to do the right thing and release the entire trilogy on Blu-ray in its original length. I know they will because Disney loves money and there are tons who will pay for that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gifts are a great way to express affection. It's a pleasure to figure out just what to get your mate. Sometimes

when my wife admires something, I'll just buy it in front of her, saying I'd rather get something she really craves

than guess about it later and miss the bullseye. When it's something the person really wants, they'll think of you

every time they see it.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
diamyo is correct. Even though Lucas saw fit to the original theatrical releases, they are are in 4:3 aspect, but widescreen. It scales up to 16:9 just fine on a TV. His reasoning for not just giving us the 16:9: "the definitive version is on laserdisc" - so glad that he sold to Disney.
I was lucky enough to get Episodes V and VI at a Barnes & Noble clearance sale (I think they cost me $10 total), but, as they are now out of print and hard to find, each DvD costs between $30 - $50. This is unfortunately what happens when something slips into the collectors market...
As far a Roger Moore being the best Bond goes: 1) He had a Paul McCartney song for his first movie (first Bond opener to get a nomination for best music), 2) Connery himself called Moore, "an ideal Bond," 3) The Moore movies were the heyday of the Bond Gadgets, and 4) We could have gotten Clint Eastwood as Bond....really what was EON thinking on that one?
img_20140902_155243648-600x337.jpg

My proudly completed (finally) set of Star Wars

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think I still the 7 tape VHS collection of the Star Wars Trilogy. Remember when you used to have to change a tape to watch a movie longer than two hours? The 7th tape with all the behind the scenes extras was the coolest thing I had ever seen when I was 10 years old.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Not sure what the big deal is with the original versions. It mst be a nostalgia thing. I didnt mind some of the added effects in the digital releases, like the windows on Bespin, or additional panning footage showing more of a planet on a flying craft's landing approach.
The shit than probably made me want to start drowning kittens, was the horribly pieced-together scene between Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt discussing owed money. It looked awkward, and out of place.
I also wasn't a huge fan of Haden Christinsen's Anakin Ghost being use instead of the original "Humpty-Dumpty" looking Anakin in Jedi.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
It's not nostalgia as much as itwasnt what everyone had been watching for over 20 years. Remastering was totally fine, adding the scenes was fine too, but it was BS not giving the fans of having a remastered version of all the movies without all the added CGI that nobody asked for.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
It's not nostalgia as much as ... it was BS not giving the fans of having a remastered version of all the movies without all the added CGI that nobody asked for.
This.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Good a reason as any to not pay $50 for a DvD, unless you were silly and stuck with two of three like I was :D

Status
Not open for further replies.