Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Cold weather is here down South. Our old Camelia named By The Gate has budded a Double, so many buds it will soon look like snow in S Louisiana , Enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gorgeous. We have a bush, and we thought it was over for the season but it seems to have bloomed up a whole new set of blossoms. Mighty pretty but maybe not quite as fulsome as this one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just ran an errand to the church and saw the magnolia with deep pink blossoms is still in bloom and dropping a few flowers, so i picked up two off the ground and brought them home to float in a bowl for my wife. They sort of burst back into bloom once they hit the water.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Your shrub has. . . a name?
Now that is about as Southern as you can get.
Lovely flower.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I had to bribe a local grower to get a cutting from a Camelia that won many awards, the Plantation called it By the Gate, was very prized. The man in charge was a heavy smoker, back in the day when cigs weren't like gold I bought him 10 cartons of Marlboros, and he reciprocated by giving me a large cutting. Moms never knew how much that Camelia cost.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for that Bradley! That's a beauty, and one of my favorite flowers. In fact I named my oldest daughter "Camelia", because that was the first thing that popped in my head when I first held her........... :)
Here's a picture of her, she's on the right, with my other two daughters...........
Yjo3rXH.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for that lovely image Brad. Everything here is gray and brown now. Can't wait for Spring!

The grass in my yard just went dormant, and my blueberry bushes are bright red. I just cut back the muscadines and pruned the peaches. The apples are actually still ripening fruit. It got so cold that I had to wear socks the other day.
Beautiful flowers! The closest thing I have to a winter ornamental are the apricot trees. I'm not sure how Southern that is, but sometimes they're the closest thing we get to snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.