PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm no expert but this looks a stunner. One for Al's collection perhaps? Alas pricewise out of my league at the moment :cry:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Estate-Pipe-Fine-Grain-Wood-Sterling-Silver-James-Upshall-Tilshead-/262814220107?hash=item3d30f2bf4b:g:CaQAAOSwnHZYTAxa
Regards,
Jay.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
pagan
Dam! that's Like $180 US or so, nice looking smoker though

the dollar is much stronger against the £ pound these days. More like $131.

It is a good time to buy English pipes in the U.S. at the moment.

Yes, nice 'authentic' 'S' grade.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My buddy in PA just bought a near identical S grade, with silver, from an estate shop (he paid less than $100).
Ken: It seems that we see very little S grade estates, in comparison to P-grades. Do you recall what percentage of annual output might be assigned to the particular grades?

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Just for fun Al.

30 june 1983 Ken wrote to me: No Canadians in S quality at the moment....in fact no S at all !

A small P grade enclosed.Please return if not satisfied.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I was a clovn, I sent it back.Later that year Ken sent me a large P Canadian.

I keept the letter and other pipe stuff over the years-

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Ken: It seems that we see very little S grade estates, in comparison to P-grades. Do you recall what percentage of annual output might be assigned to the particular grades?

ssjones

The 'S' grade was quite a 'common' grade although I seem to remember that our U.S. agents did not go wild about this quality, possibly the finish was not in fashion at the time or they felt the 'P' grade light walnut was a better seller. It is quite funny that certain countries we sold to liked certain finishes although nearly all the countries liked the 'P' grade finish. I think we changed the 'S' grade to a tan finish for the US and then developed the 'A' grade from there. Does that sound feasible?

I suppose the 'S' grade formed about 10-15% of the Upshall production. Most were sent to Italy, Switzerland and Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.