Tags:   

Beautiful New Lids For Mason Jars Arrived Today

(153 posts)
  • Started 6 months ago by shermnatman
  • Latest reply from brian64
  1. ukulelecowboy

ukulelecowboy

Login to Send PM

A lot of killjoys on this site... Anyone else ever notice that?

Posted 6 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you say that from your vast experience on this site and the thousands of interactions with members?

Or just your butthurt?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 6 months ago #
  3. ukulelecowboy

ukulelecowboy

Login to Send PM

Oooh... I'm sorry. Did I not reach my post goal before I I'm allowed to have an opinion?

Posted 6 months ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You're more than welcome to have an opinion. Let the butthurt flow.

Posted 6 months ago #
  5. ukulelecowboy

ukulelecowboy

Login to Send PM

Mine or yours?

Posted 6 months ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's good to have friends who can make labels.

And from such an innocuous topic some wonderful social psychopathy just somehow blooms. Reading this thread is like reading the committee in your head. It's part of the special kumbaya that keeps PM constantly engaging and unique.

So in honor of this, here are some very healthy Celtic Women, stuffed into the ugliest costumes imaginable, singing Amazing Grace:

Amazing Grace

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 6 months ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

UCowboy, Well, considering your vast contributions revolve around the lid pictures, I'd say yours. Have at it. Whine, moan and throw a pity party. Just don't forget salve for your butthurt.

Posted 6 months ago #
  8. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have indeed noticed that...but I just keep telling myself the mods are a necessary evil.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 6 months ago #
  9. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian

Posted 6 months ago #
  10. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A) Nice labels! Well cut.

B) Celtic women ...

C) Oh, damn! Gotta order a dozen tins of War Horse ...

Posted 6 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice jar decorations. It wouldn't work for my cellar though. I wrote labels on the lid for one batch, and because I store my jars, stacked, it makes it hard to find what I want. So, I print on mailing labels and use that, sometimes with the company logos on them. But, seeing the name, the date canned, and the weight is most important for me.

But, killer labels.

Killjoys? Eh, when you walk into a room full of Milton Berles, Rodney Dangerfields, Groucho Marxs, Don Rinkles, General McArthurs, Gingas Kahns, and Bob Newharts, with a sprinkling of Charles Mansons, you kind of have to roll with it. It can be fun, as long as you don't get blood in the water... then the feeding frenzy begins with people biting heads off without regards for whose head, Ha ha.

Michael
    Posted 6 months ago #
  12. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thread has turned into a hair salon. I like.

Posted 6 months ago #
  13. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Killjoys? Eh, when you walk into a room full of Milton Berles, Rodney Dangerfields, Groucho Marxs, Don Rinkles, General McArthurs, Gingas Kahns, and Bob Newharts, with a sprinkling of Charles Mansons, you kind of have to roll with it. It can be fun, as long as you don't get blood in the water... then the feeding frenzy begins with people biting heads off without regards for whose head, Ha ha.

Beautifully said and very insightful!

Posted 6 months ago #
  14. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic that is the best post of 2019 followed by Ashdiggers calling a spade a spade!!

Posted 6 months ago #
  15. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eh, when you walk into a room full of Milton Berles, Rodney Dangerfields, Groucho Marxs, Don Rinkles, General McArthurs, Gingas Kahns, and Bob Newharts, with a sprinkling of Charles Mansons, you kind of have to roll with it.

Let's see...which of those guys is it hardest to imagine smoking a pipe...Don? Or Charlie? Gingas might have smoked one if it was available.

Posted 6 months ago #
  16. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Brian64 - I'd say Don Rickles, though I thought he was great, the guy never shut-up and he would probably bite right through the stem. - Sherm Natman

Posted 6 months ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lol, Good answer Sherm...I'd have to agree.

Posted 6 months ago #
  18. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had to look up Don Rickles on youtube.

Posted 6 months ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You hockey puck!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  20. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Back in the day, I had a outtake reel on 3/4" of Don Rickles doing a commercial for something. It was a 30 second commercial, but the outtakes went on for at least a half hour. Obscene, abusive, derogatory and funny as hell.

Posted 6 months ago #
  21. azpipe

azpipe

Login to Send PM

this may be why Standard Tobacco has been so damned successful.... None of us are paid

I realize I'm missing something but how is no one being paid considered a success?

Posted 6 months ago #
  22. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ I would have loved to hear Don Rickles' answer to that question.

Posted 6 months ago #
  23. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

gerryp, I'm afraid you have the particulars a bit skewed

Woodroad: No, I don't. Someone made a comment to the effect of "I hope you don't get a c&d letter for printing those labels", and I wondered why someone would get a c&d for printing labels for personal use.

It's ok though. I can see how one might get defensive if he believed (mistakenly, in this case) that someone had accused his company of being frivolous.

Thanks for the info!

Posted 6 months ago #
  24. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

how is no one being paid considered a success?

Al Gore is having a garage sale. We're saving our pennies to buy The Interwebs.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable is again the reasoned voice. This kind of reminds me of my Jess C. posting that went sideways. Is it the full moon that brought out all the crankiness today? As I say, not my circus, not my monkeys. Cosmic, well said.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 5 months ago #
  26. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

This whole thread has made me giggle. What if tobacco companys just printed there own labels to fit Mason jars and include one with each tin or bulk purchase for say I dont know a nickle, so no one would ever be butthurt again on something so trivial. Plus they could be a perfect circle lol, I mean I'd pay a nickle each for one, hell maybe even a dime, couldn't be too hard to print the same thing but smaller, but then again I'm no expert on the printing business.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I had a dollar for everyone who jumped out of nowhere on this thread with scant understanding of the whole story—well, I could buy a tin or two.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Don Rickles: 1926-2017

Posted 5 months ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One thing is for sure... this is all proof that the FDA was correct in making them put these warnings on labels. The intention is to hit a nerve, hit that guilty part of smoker's consciousness, and play on it. I have said for a looooong time, that we should grasp the labels, make fun of them with T-shirts, bumper stickers, show them that we love the warning labels. Ebrace the labels. Honestly, I don't even see the warnings, because I don't care. But, that some pipe smokers are so repulsed by them as to demand extra labels, to create a website to get replacement labels, to openly bitch in public about them, show that the FDA's plan is working. It is doing what they had hoped.

Sometimes with an attack, the mere act of acknowledging the attack is the first step towards losing. Sometimes you have to just sidestep the attack and move on, choosing your battles more carefully.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also think it's hilarious that someone would use a plot cutter because (like the pyramids) humans aren't capable of that sort of precision. Now, using a plot cutter itself is not over-the-top, but the defense of using it is what cracks me up. It's like watching a young graphic designer flip out because their computer is down and they need to draw a straight line. Using a ruler never crosses their mind. Besides, the label's edges are covered by the lid. You could literally use your carkeys to chunk out a circle, and once you get it on the lid under the ring, and it would look just as good.

But, like the History Channel suggests about the pyramids, it's just too perfect for humans to make... despite the fact that they made the perfectly stone inlaid golden tomb for King Tut, which displays much more human perfection in a craft.

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great thread! IBTL

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  32. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Cosmic - I am the recipient of those perfectly cut circles - a gift from an understanding artist-friend with said plot cutter - which works out very well for my OCD about such detail and exactness; and, answers my particular visual and other physical handicaps quite nicely; as these tasks, while seemingly simple tasks for others, are impossible for people like me when it come to being able to do things like cut a perfect or even semi-perfect circle with a scissors on my own.

So you can call it "a hilarious defense" if it brings you pleasure and self-satisfaction.

For me, I just call it having friend who is helping me to cope with being handicapped. - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://cellarlabels.com/labels/

We need Prince Albert people!

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's great for you.

So you can call it "a hilarious defense" if it brings you pleasure and self-satisfaction.

More like "amusement." I'm easy to amuse.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, I just call it having friend who is helping me to cope with being handicapped. - Sherm Natman

Some people don’t have any friends and it seems to make them sour. So it goes.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 5 months ago #
  36. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel like I have to chime in here, seeing as how it was me that suggested the use of said high tech equipment was over the top.

shermnatman, if indeed you have any sort of handicap that prevents you from doing this manually, please accept my most sincere apology.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 5 months ago #
  37. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

shermnatman, try not to take offense. This site, while beneficial at times, has individuals that act as trolls, and when identified as such hide behind various defenses to justify their actions. Most of them are long-term residents that collude to support the overall environment here. Just roll with the punches and don't take anything too seriously. You can just lurk If you're looking for knowledge but if you're looking for camaraderie, see how it goes and perhaps look elsewhere. YMMV.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this where we hug it out?

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

ashdigger, I don't swing that way but if you want to hug it out, I got the juice you need.

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to seem insensitive, but if you have some sort of handicap that prevents you from using scissors then I am sorry, and maybe this should have been revealed earlier. But, we are just treating you like one of the guys. We had no prior warning that there may be something sensitive going on that we needed to tiptoe around. Would your really want us to, or to just treat you like a normal guy?

They are cool labels. I hope that you enjoy them. To stay on track... I guess you will be keeping these tobaccos in stock? Are they easily accessible enough to keep getting new ones for each new blend you get, and if you should want to keep more than one jar each of these blends... you'll be getting more? It's cool to have access to a friend that will help you out like that.

I have a buddy that uses a digital cutting machine to cut intricate shapes for industrial stained glass work. He acts like just using the thing is expensive. I don't think he would let me cut anything on it. You are lucky.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get off my lawn, all of you!

Posted 5 months ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just put these on my War Horse jars.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Here is one in the works to solve the problem of labeling all the bulk mixtures I have which do not already have established tin art associated with them.

One of my occasional favorites which I work in and out of my regular tabak rotation, which I purchase in bulk at our local B&M Tinderbox is: Sherlock's Choice. I have been told, though I cannot confirm, that this is in fact, Lane Limited's: HGL mixture.

Assuming that is true and correct, I could go with a label by either name; however, I find the Sherlock name much more interesting and imaginative than the cryptic Lane LTD letter-codes; therefore I once again called on the talents of my artist friend, and this is the rough she came up with for me. It will need to be cleaned-up to remove the Dunhill information on the perimeter, but other than that, I think her concept is shaping up nicely. - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

And the only "offense" which has injured my dignity around here, is that directly beneath my name and avatar, some wise-guy has affixed a highly inappropriate estimation of my personal male prowess; and has decried publicly that I possess a: "Junior Member". A wholly libelous situation, indeed!

Gentlemen, I can assure you this has not been the case since I was under the age of 13. - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Sherm they are some lovely professional looking lids you are very lucky to have a friend who can supply such lids, hey just a thought but maybe if your artist friend has a little spare time she could perhaps set up some sort of website where people could get these lids, maybe not charge a fee but accept donations or something and then.....oh hang on, oh no maybe not, no sorry, carry on everyone.
    Chris.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Smudgersmissingleg - No, Chris; in fact, I am waiting for her to cut me off before not too much longer. I have a bunch of new tabaks coming in that I am hoping she will do the labels for me before she cries: "Enough is enough"; and that will be the end of it - no doubt.

As Grandma Natman used to say: "If you milk a cow too fast and too frequently, you'll wind-up with no milk and a skinny cow." - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. smudgersmissingleg

smudgersmissingleg

Login to Send PM

Yeah my apologies Sherm mate that was just my 'attempt' at a joke about the pipe tobacco label printing website war/fracas of 2019, but what I said about the lids being pretty dam sweet I meant 100%, I myself have been thinking about getting a printer and labels to try and knock something up but what sort of result I'd end up with God only knows, probably end up with labels that looks like they've been thrown together by a blindfolded monkey, then again you never know I might luck out and end up with something that looks half sensible, unlikely but it's a possibility.
    It's a moot point at the moment anyway because ANY spare cash is going on trying to get my cellar to the amount needed to last me for the rest of my life, sounds a big task I know but as I'm 45 now and plan on dying at 60 I should only need about 15 years worth, saying that knowing my poxy luck I'll live well past 60 and that would obviously bugger up that plan, still a man can dream can't he.
    Chris

Posted 5 months ago #
  48. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a thread, carry on gentlemen.

Posted 5 months ago #
  49. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"If you milk a cow too fast and too frequently, you'll wind-up with no milk and a skinny cow.

If you work it that much, shouldn't your Junior "member" become a Senior "member"?

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a thread, carry on gentlemen.
    And others!

Posted 5 months ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure that being told one has a "senior member" is much more of an upgrade in the members department.

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's when it turns purple that you should be concerned.

Posted 5 months ago #
  53. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If your "labeling" session last more than fours you should consult a doctor.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Actually you need to milk a cow once a day, thus why big dairy farms run all 3 shifts and are constantly milking. Never worked on one but know several people who have and have also grown up on one, and please feed your dairy cows that's what they are getting skinny lol.

Posted 5 months ago #
  55. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Acidpox, you and your dirty euphemisms.

Posted 5 months ago #
  56. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To chime in on the label drama, I'm a lawyer, and I would bet that printing labels for personal use does not constitute any sort of intellectual property infringement. I'm not an IP lawyer, but I know there are a lot of exceptions to general protections offered under intellectual property law, and if an allegedly-infringing use is not put into the stream of commerce in any way and is not likely to result in confusion, then the use is potentially permissible. In other words, selling labels is probably a trademark violation. Printing your own for personal use is probably acceptable. Making templates available for free online may be another issue, but may be acceptable as well.

Disclaimer: this post is not legal advice, it's just me hypothesizing about an area of law where I admittedly have limited knowledge.

Posted 5 months ago #
  57. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Law, I think the copyright label website drama thread was another thread. This one is the plot cutter drama thread.

Posted 5 months ago #
  58. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawdawg, your post would have more weight if you stated...I'm a lawyer, but I don't play one on TV. But, in your defense, you also didn't state these were the things you learned in the prison library.

Posted 5 months ago #
  59. lawdawg

lawdawg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Law, I think the copyright label website drama thread was another thread. This one is the plot cutter drama thread.

My bad! I'll get off this thread's lawn now

Posted 5 months ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you took a lid into any printer or print shop & asked them to copy/make some for you they would refuse.
    Copyright laws.
    Ain't poopin on the thread, just...fyi.

Posted 5 months ago #
  61. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Actually, in cases where a printer may be dubious of the job-order being presented by a customer, quite often your printer will merely ask you to complete and sign a simple Declaration and Authorization to Reproduce form - which the printer keeps on file for 3 years.

This form, in which you affirm that you are the copyright holder of whatever the suspect printing matter in question may be; states that you have the lawful right to reproduce said materials; and that you bear the sole liability with regard to reproducing same in the event a future claim of infringement is filed with the courts (not cheap to do by the way).

As this right-to-reproduce form states that you have legal right-to-copy, this keeps the printer off-the-hook via documenting that an unscrupulous party (i.e. You) duped them; if it should become a problem in court after publication; therefore, most printers are happy to run whatever work-for-hire is present to them - PROVIDED they have the signed declaration and a photostatic copy of your valid ID - Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  62. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure that being told one has a "senior member" is much more of an upgrade in the members department.

I can't wait until my member is preferred. Though I suppose it depends on by whom it's preferred...

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 5 months ago #
  63. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sherm, nice labels by the way.

Posted 5 months ago #
  64. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, in cases where a printer may be dubious of the job-order being presented by a customer, quite often your printer will merely ask you to complete and sign a simple Declaration and Authorization to Reproduce form - which the printer keeps on file for 3 years.

My printer merely follows the instructions I give it in the form of many 0's and 1's. And it will keep the file for years until I delete it....

Seriously now: Your information is good, though, and appreciated.

Home use is fine for copying and printing labels, and you can do much better than the low images on the site that has or had them.

If I were into it, I'd print on metallic paper, customize, have fun. But my printer needs ink and I need motivation.

Posted 5 months ago #
  65. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brian64 is going to get a c&d from StinkyTobaccoPipes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  66. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

jpmcwjr - LOL! good one!

3rdGuy - LOL! Maybe so, but is better to have a "Stinky Pipe", or, "a Junior Member"?

- Sherm Natman

Posted 5 months ago #
  67. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brian64 is going to get a c&d from StinkyTobaccoPipes.

Thanks for the clarification on that...I was told that stood for Stinky Tobacco of PA. Misinformed once again.

Posted 5 months ago #
  68. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 5 months ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As this right-to-reproduce form states that you have legal right-to-copy, this keeps the printer off-the-hook via documenting that an unscrupulous party (i.e. You) duped them; if it should become a problem in court after publication; therefore, most printers are happy to run whatever work-for-hire is present to them - PROVIDED they have the signed declaration and a photostatic copy of your valid ID - Sherm Natman

Form covers shop owners butt on questionable jobs, not permissiom to violate the law.
    I used to print the forms.
    Personal on your printer at home no one will say squat.
    Most copyright suits are over people copying stuff others make income from.

Posted 5 months ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hap..Peace Bro.
    I didn't write that either.
    Stick around long enough and they will put that under yours too.
    God Bless.

Posted 5 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52, dmcmtk