PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Since we haven't put a cap on the Secret Santa I just wanted to throw this out there. Seriously I love this pipe, it is just gorgeous and fits pretty well into my favorite shape class. One of you guys should buy it so I'll stop drooling over it. I'll never have that much to spend on a pipe, but I love his work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151153036847?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
It is a beautiful pipe but, I know I'm going to get hell for saying this, arent there plenty of less known pipe makers making an on par product for a third or less of the price? Like DotterPipes, his are going for around 300-350 and have equal grain (unless I missed something) or T-ND Pipes which are going for 200-240 (at least when available). As I said, a beautiful pipe, but it seems as though there is on par work for far cheaper.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Shaint
That is a gorgeous pipe and I've held it's 'sister' at the NYC pipe club meeting a couple of months ago. One of the members purchased it directly from Jeff. My Scott Thile is a junior version, about 2/3 the size of the J. Alan, and it smokes great.
That pipe feels wonderful and the balance is terrific. The stem slides into the tenon like butter. I did not, however, put it into my mouth to test the stem LOL

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It's a good question, Burl. I think it depends on how you define "on a par". Yes, there are definitely artisan carvers who turn out excellent pipes for less money than what you'd pay for a J.Alan pipe.
When you buy an artisan pipe, you're paying not only for engineering, craftsmanship and materials, but like it or not you're paying for the carver's reputation. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. In the case of J.Alan pipes, carver Jeff Gracik has made a reputation for turning out high quality pipes, which drives demand. He can only make so many in a week, and in the case of the pipe in question, there are only so many blocks that will be suitable. Small output, limited material and high demand can only result in a higher price.
If any of us were making something, and we found demand for that "thing" very high, we'd be crazy not to charge what the market will bear. I have a J.Alan pipe that I bought directly from Jeff. Yes, it was pricey but I think it's one of the finest pipes I've ever owned. Is it "better" than less expensive pipes I've bought from carvers? In some cases yes, in some cases no. But that's pretty much what you'd expect from any artisinal creation.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
That is very fair, and well stated BigVan and it has been something I have been wondering about for awhile when I DO see pipes that at the very least LOOK similar if not better for a smaller price and I didnt think simple supply and demand explained it. Though I suppose name brand is an explanation in and of itself. Like the people who buy ZipLock baggies for two bucks more when the Safeway brand is comparable. I appreciate you taking your time to put forth an explanation.
Personally I wont be able to afford a J. Allen pipe any time in the next two decades so I'll keep telling myself there are on par pipes for cheaper just so I can go to sleep at night though...

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Boy I wish I was shaintiques secret Santa. My only problem would be locating coal for his stocking. :nana:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Supply and demand is what drives the prices of J. Alan pipes. I would be willing to bet his pipes do not smoke better than most of my artisan pipes that sell for a quarter of the price. I have no problem with Jeff getting those kinds of numbers for his pipes, as the market has set the price and he is obviously getting his asking prices. Maybe if I were to see one of his blasted pipes as an estate for a reasonable number I will get one, but 1800.00 for a pipe is way beyond my pain threshold.

My personal view is that no pipe is worth that kind of money even though I could afford to buy one. For my money I would rather own 4 sandblasted Rad Davis pipes and have 200.00 left over for tobacco, but that is me. Everyone has their own view on what any given pipe is worth to them and I am sure Jeff is very grateful that enough people feel his work is worth that kind of dough.
Allan, I would be willing to bet that your Scott Thile straight grain smokes as well as this J Alan pipe. Once you have quality briar and a talented artisan who knows how to properly engineer a pipe, the pipe can only smoke so well. The better grain won't make it smoke better and spending countless hours on a delrin tenon will only add just so much to a smoking experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.