PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
This past weekend my wife and I rented a cabin on a lake in Big Rapids MI with some friends. While at Wal-Mart buying supplies for the weekend I had a realization. I reasoned to myself that while fishing I would be reaching into my pouch filled with Frog Morton OTT with hands covered in fish slime and whatever else. So, I ran over to the tobacco aisle and grabbed some Prince Albert and while on the boat fishing I rammed my beater full of slimy Prince Albert.
Here is my question... When you fish, or whatever, and anticipate not wanting to ruin good tobacco, what do you fill your beater with?
My beater. It is a no name I got on ebay from someone who bought an old out of business pipe shop. The price tag on it had probably been there since the sixties. I paid the sticker price of 10 bucks.
mail

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Prince Albert is good even when other tobacco is able to be had. You made a good choice.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
Funny thing I had same issue the other day. Fly fishing for panfish. No towels, hand cleaner etc. What I decided was to wash my hands the best I could, I then used the tail of my shirt to hold the pipe (I can wash the shirt) and used it like a shovel. I had a taper with me so I used it to pack the pipe.

No slime on pipe, no slime in the tabac may be not the best pack but was passable.

Key learning NEVER go fishing without hand wipes again!

I double checked the pipe no fishy smell. All is well....

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
Very smooth Stryder! It definitely a conundrum, fishing, pipe smoking; they merge perfectly, but no one wants a fishy pipe. I was in Colorado about a month ago fly fishing, smoking a local blend from a tobacconist in Estes Park, and I was smart enough to load my stanwell before hand, which is like a dunhill group 5. It smoked forever. Conversely, while in MI I was in a boat and my beater is like a dunhill 3, so I loaded it a lot.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wash my hands in the lake or river,dry 'em on my pants leg. Don't need no stinkin' hand wipes! PA is good anytime!

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I just got back from fishin and smokin the Indian River Lagoon here in central FL and as usual, I pack before I fish. 2 pipes in my tackle pack ready to go. Lighting up is the hard part though here, because it's often rather windy. Maybe I'll even do a pre-charring light and first tamp too so that she lights up real quick and easy. :wink:

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I now must have a Boswell fishing pipe! Any ideas how I could come across one?

wingcamnut

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
Always have a small towel ringed on my fly vest, A corn cob, Samuel Gawith Black cherry Cavendish, The corn cob? Because I dont want to go pipe fishing! Or bite through in the excitement!:)

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
When I took my annual throw the line in the water trip up to Cave Lake this year, I enjoyed a pouch of Sail Yellow in a cob. Back at camp, it was Borkum Riff in a saddle stem basket pipe. And Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon. I like to keep things simple when I'm up in the high country. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.