PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Ok, I can't decide what to use to plug a hole in a pipe I drilled through (some of u remember the post)
I see recipes for 'pipe mud' (seems like a messy bother) and other things to plug holes with I just don't know what the best is to use. I was thinking of using that fire retardant hole filler, then worried about chemicals leaching into the wood. Same for that syringe applied epoxy stuff at Canadian Tire, the thought of chemicals come to mind again.
The hole is not in the bowl but below the draught hole straight out the bottom of the pipe. If I could post a pic I would to make it easier but I cannot. I was thinking of filling it with a mixture of wood glue and hardwood sawdust or just plugging it with a small dowel and some wood glue or krazy glue to hold the dowel in place. The hole is 5/32" and I just can't figure out what to use. I don't want to send the pipe away due to the fact that shipping and repair will be equal in worth to the pipe itself and I could just buy a new one at that rate (if I could find another one).
I'm leaning towards the small dowel and glue idea but I'm open for other suggestions that aren't messy or a PITA.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I don't know what kind of pipe it is but I burned out the bottom of a cob and just filled it with good old Elmers glue and was smoking it again in a couple days.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
http://pipesandcigars.com/brvopi1ruac.html#.UYPo46KKrBY
Draw an imaginary line through the centre of the shank out the bottom of the bowl. That is where the hole is on m pipe. I was in an idiotic hurry doing it and f***ed it up. Lesson learned and now another one learning how to fill the hole...

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Good tip roth! I think I might just use the hardwood dowel. It seems less of a PITA and will be done in no time.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
True! LMFAO!
The fireplace mortar seems like a messy endeavor and I can picture myself getting it all over myself and the pipe. I do have several plastic syringes, not like needle syringes but force feeder syringes for small animals.

Like this one here - http://www.lfwildlife.org/images/feeder2.JPG
If I use that to apply the mortar I should be G2G (I hope) I'll call the fireplace shop in the morning. I need some fireplace rope to seal up the gap on the lid of one of my homemade smokers anyway so I can kill two birds on that phone call.
Thanks for the tips roth. I'll probably just get them to fill the syringe with a little bit of mortar for me so I don't make a huge mess of it lol.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I measured the hole and from the bottom where the hole starts to the exit 'wound' is only 1/2" at 5/32" dia. I won't need very much mortar and it's not really worth the bother of going there and asking for a tiny amount to fill a hole in a pipe, that's why I'm leaning towards using a wooden dowel.
Either way I'll let ya know ;)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Walk down the street and find a oak or other hard wood tree pick up a twig and whittle a small dowel .Stick said dowel in hole with a drop of wood glue . Fast, cheap, simple, no fuss no muss and best of all no cost . 8)

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
So I stopped at Lowes this morning and snagged up a 5/32" maple dowel. Came home, shoved it in the hole with some krazy glue, took a drill bit in a pair of visegrips and trimmed off the end of the dowel sticking up into the shank, trimmed and sanded the piece sticking out the bottim. It's good as new and smokes like it did brand new.
I called the fireplace shop this morning when I got home from a turkey hunt and they would not sell me a small quantity of mortar. He said it's not worth his time or my money to bother with such a small amount (he was kind of a dick too so I won't being dealing with them ever again). I look for the no fuss no muss method and I didn't really want to whittle a twig to fit the hole so I opted to buy one.
Sorry if I offended you, roth, buy not using your suggested method. Using that 'goop' seemed to be too involved, and from what I suspect, pretty messy.
I've always heard that there's a million ways to do something, some fail and some don't but as long as we get the same result in the end it doesn't really matter how we get there as long as its done and works. I'm 100% positive this dowel will stand the test of time and I won't have any issues with it. I see it no different than plugging screw holes in furniture with wooden dowels and sanding them smooth. In fact I have a table I built in grade 10 held together with wooden dowels and glue (no metal hardware was allowed to be used on the project) and it's still going strong.
Thanks again for the suggestions, I hope my experience reparing the hole will help someone else if they do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.