Beards and Beard Oil

(156 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by metalheadycigarguy
  • Latest reply from jvnshr
  1. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I've had a beard off and on over the years. I usually have a goatee during the spring and summer and grow out my beard during the fall and through winter. Sometimes I'll shave it all off and start fresh. This year I've decided I'm going to grow out my beard, though I can't go to long for work purposes, but I want a fuller and thicker beard instead of the very short beard I normally would grow. I recently discovered that even people with short beards like mine (currently) can use beard oil and that it will help with the beard during the growing out process. I purchased a bottle of Portland Beard Company (Schuler) which has a nice citrus type smell. I've only been using it for a week so I can't say one way or the other it has helped just yet, but I'm sure its doing its thing. I've also got another bottle, made by a fellow You Tube Pipe Presenter, coming my way to try out and give feed back on as he's getting ready to send it to market to sell.

So out of curiosity, who all has beards and who uses beard oil? If you're using beard oil what brand are you using and what are your thoughts on it? Also if you have any tips feel free to share them.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's been a few years since I had a beard, and I never used beard oil. What I did find useful for making my beard look thicker was to use a hairdryer to give it a blow dry. Certainly helped to give a fuller look.

I am also a firm believer that a glass of stout is an excellent way to achieve a health glossy beard

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just have a van dyke now but I use Honest Amish Beard Balm about $14 on Amazon. I'm not sure how much it helps growth since my facial hair grows pretty fast, but I really like the shine and softness it lends. It's also good for keeping those contrary rogue hairs from getting out of place.

Has nice licorice scent but it isn't overly strong or greasy.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. kendodan

kendodan

Login to Send PM

I try to grow a beard but it just never works... Pretty lame. So every time I see a good lookin' beard I give them the evil eye because I am so jealous.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wear a long beard now but have worn beards continuously for many years. I use a good beard oil and/or jojoba oil available from health food stores like GNC 3-4 times per wk. it's not necessary to use it daily. Beard oil helps keep the pores of your skin and the hair folicles under the beard open and moist, keeps your skin from itching when first growing out your beard and keeps the skin moist during the dry winter months, and protects the beard hair which is very important with long beards. It does help to style your beard a little bit also. I sometimes use American Crew Hair Fiber which is probably similar to the Amish Beard Baum. It is like a salve that melts to oil by rubbing your hands together, goes into your beard easy, and when it resets it gives your beard a little body. I have a long mustache but don't use mustache wax; just a little oil on it as well. I rinse my beard out every time I shower and use a good beard shampoo & beard conditioner every 7-10 days, and may use just the conditioner after a rinse between shampoos.

Don't use a hot blow dryer. Worst thing you can do to your beard.

Rebels been rebels since I don't know when
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I have been looking into beard oils after listening to a wet shaving podcast. Seems like with my type of hair (very coarse) it would help a lot. I will be curious to see how it turns out for you. Keep us posted.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

plus 1 on the hot dryer johnnyreb, I should have mentioned a cold setting

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If one uses beard-oil, then how often does it have to be changed? Do you use a different weight oil in summer versus winter? If you forget to oil your beard, then will it seize-up? Just curious...

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The man (at least I think it's a man) pictured below obviously failed to use beard-oil. Don't let this happen to you!

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No beard, chops which almost meet at the chin and a rather large stash. Both brushed out every day, takes a couple of minutes, washed every other day or so. I've never given a thought to applying anything to either, seems a bit unnatural and as even my facial hair is on the oily side I do not want to add to the dust and food collection.

I am a bit tempted to ask the age of those which use oil and those that do not. In the interest of harmony I will not. I will say that I am on the downhill side of sixty. I will also admit to waxing the stash on special days, but that's the only affectation I know of. Also, mustache rides are still only a dollar for the ladies. And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, is that you?

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements.

I had to read that a couple of times ... thought you meant to say "chomp".

My beard started in 1995 after getting out of the military and hasn't been removed since then.

Recently, I trimmed it way back but regretted that and am letting it grow again.

I've never used any special oils but when it's longer I'll hit it with a little conditioner in the shower.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's actually quite close. But, I do have a full head of hair also. It's not white yet, more of a pleasing, chick attracting, silver.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol ... my wife tells me I'm becoming "distinguished". That's a nice way to put it!

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

beard oil. conditioner, whatever will make your beard softer and tamer but it ain't going to make your hair grow.. trust me or you wouldn't all the bald guys you do.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a bit tempted to ask the age of those which use oil and those that do not.

I'll offer mine. 38. It's something I started using maybe a year and a half ago. I like it. I don't have any hair left on my head, so it gives me something to comb and fuss over. Ha.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've worn a full beard since about 1994 (length variable - it's shorter these days than it was in the past), but just recently started using beard oil, as my face started producing more dandruff than my scalp ever did. Tea Tree Oil shampoo/conditioner had been sufficient for years, but as I get older, I seem to get flakier...

I actually started using beard oil after looking into mustache wax - I don't generally wax my 'stache on a day-to-day basis, but it's a fun look when I'm doing a Steampunk event, so I've been doing some training in the evenings. A local company, Mod Cabin, offers not only a decent training wax, but also some very nice beard oils. I tried their sampler, and the dandruff cleared right up. I now keep bottles of both their Miner's Mint and Gunbarrel oil on hand. It's definitely had a positive impact on my beard's appearance as well.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get to grow a beard in about 14.5 months. Once I am free of the army. * Sigh *

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Also, mustache rides are still only a dollar for the ladies. And, I will still "comp" those which meet my rather stringent requirements."

With beard oil & it's natural lubricity, you might not have to "comp" so many! Just tryin to help a brother out.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"With beard oil & it's natural lubricity, you might not have to "comp" so many! Just tryin to help a brother out."

Yes, but wouldn't his, er, "passengers" run the risk of falling off?

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW, never heard of beard oil. I've had my beard since 1972. I just shower wash, hand dry with a towel, and comb everyday. Never had any problems in winter, or summer.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  22. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These guys are total hipsters but they do make good products. Back when I was sporting only a stache I was using their stache wax and pomade. Now I use their beard oil once or twice a week and Amish Beard Balm. I never use conditioner meant for hair or shampoo, the beard gets washed with Peppermint Dr. Bronners Castile Soap even though I have a general distaste for hippies. I was turned onto it by a long time beard guy and agree that it is perfect for beard washing.
    http://www.brooklyngrooming.com/

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never have been able to grow a decent beard! My facial hair just grows to sparsely on the sides.
    Now, a mustache......that's a different story. I had a decent mustache when I was 13 years old!
    I currently have a mustache and about a 3" goatee (even though the goatee is not quite as thick as I'd like for it to be).
    It's always been frustrating because my Dad, and all the men on his side of the family, can grow awesome beards.
    The ones on my Mom's side can't grow beards to save their lives! Mustaches, yes..... Beards, no.
    My brother and I both struggle with beards, though admittedly, he can grow a better one than I can, but I have him beat on the mustache.
    I've never heard of beard oil to be honest with you guys, but I might have to look into it a little further, though it probably wouldn't do me much good, lol!

By the way, I'm 31 years old, and my brother is 21.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Yes, but wouldn't his, er, "passengers" run the risk of falling off?"

Hunter, that's why they're called "friendly mutton chops"! The ladies just grab a handful.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. panagiotis

panagiotis

Login to Send PM

I grow a beard for 3 years now. I never used anything to "help"it grow, I just trim it from time to time. Personally I don't trust that stuff, I prefer leaving things like that to nature.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its nice to see how everyone varies in there beard care and/or maintenance. I've heard and read that you should never use product such as conditioner for your hair in your beard. The beard hairs are different then the hair on your head and the hair products and damage and dry out the skin for your beard. At least that's what I'm reading and hearing about.

With so many beard products available which I wouldn't have thought of before looking into the subject; its nice to see the different products people are using. I'll have to look into some of the others mentioned here.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case folks are interested, here's a supplier that was recommended to me by a fellow with a notable mustache that I met on the Steampunk Cruise:

Royal Shave

And here's the brand I've been using:

The Mod Cabin

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MHCG,

Exactly. Never use regular shampoo & conditioner on your beard. It is just too harsh and will strip your beard and leave it feeling like straw. If you have a beard of .50 -.75" you might not notice the difference. When you grow a beard of 2 - 3" or longer, you will notice. When it comes to shampoo & conditioner I like Beardsley products but Bluebeard is just as good. I don't use bar soaps. When it comes to beard oil check the ingredients because jojoba oil will be among the top 3 ingredients. Beard oil is a high profit margin product and that is why everybody & their brother is coming out with their own and the truth be known, it's probably all coming from Biotech and they have just added their own different scent.

I buy product from these 3 mainly, and am always happy with service & what I get:

http://www.ebarbershop.com/beard-grooming-wax-sets-accessories.html

http://www.beardcareproducts.com/beardoil.html

http://www.growabeardnow.com/beard-cares/

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mostly use beard oil from French fries and onion rings.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  30. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mostly use beard oil from French fries and onion rings.

Lol ... exactly!

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS: and don't waste money on any of the voodoo beard growth juice. You either have the genes or you don't. Since the hipster beard craze started the voodoo juice has just went wild. I know a young guy who was spending $160 per month on that voodoo for over a year trying to grow a beard. He was finally convinced to give it up.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I mostly use beard oil from French fries and onion rings."

That ought to bring in the fat girls!

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Earlier in the year I was turned on to Honest Amish and I love their products. Great stuff! Recommend it.

http://www.amishbeardcare.com/Default.asp

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS: and don't waste money on any of the voodoo beard growth juice. You either have the genes or you don't. Since the hipster beard craze started the voodoo juice has just went wild. I know a young guy who was spending $160 per month on that voodoo for over a year trying to grow a beard. He was finally convinced to give it up.

Yep you either have the genes or you don't. No special cream or solution is going to make it grow any faster. Growing a beard will take some time and I'm prepared for that, and I'm also prepared for that time when it looks patchy but eventually it will come in. It just might take a year. LOL

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. greatbrittn

Brittney

Login to Send PM

Hipsters and hippies are not the same thing. See?

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LOL Nice one.
    I didn't know you were on here Brittney. Very cool.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. darthcider

darthcider

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have used oil on my beard for a couple years, but rather than pay over the odds for a tiny amount, I make my own. If you use the web as guidance you will see that Argan, Jojoba and Hemp oils are popular. Just add essential oils to your likes. Woods, citrus and herbs etc make good smells. I'm 55 and my beard comes and goes, but is usually about 4". I use oil a couple times a week after showering, then comb and fiddle with my beard till its right.

Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  38. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I have used oil on my beard for a couple years, but rather than pay over the odds for a tiny amount, I make my own. If you use the web as guidance you will see that Argan, Jojoba and Hemp oils are popular. Just add essential oils to your likes. Woods, citrus and herbs etc make good smells."

I'm going to market my own beard oil and add the aroma & scent from Molto Dolce. Cosmic says that's really good smelling stuff!

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. darthcider

darthcider

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Following on from a recent thread about a doctored photo and Molto Dolce, will you Photoshop a beard on for the advert?

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If Molto Dolce scented beard oil has that same effect on the opposite sex it should sell itself and I shouldn't have to advertise!

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. fearsclave

fearsclave

Login to Send PM

Full beard since 2008. I've had good luck with Hoppes No.9. My wife likes the smell.

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use Beardology sandalwood. Great stuff.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  43. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just change the diesel oil in my beard every 100 hours, or whenever I need to change the fuel filters.
    There's nothing like the smell of fresh diesel.

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Getting out of the military in 2 months. Will grow a beard then.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  45. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Great Victorian Beard Craze.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30037914

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didn't grow a beard in the 70's. Had a stash but even that was not heavy. No problem now. I am going to try the oil. I would like to see if it will keep my beard from getting sore when I rub it too much.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  47. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had a beard or goatee since I turned 16 and now I'm a few trips around the sun past 50. My beard and head don't seem any different to me, and I've always just shampoo'd and conditioned it all the same. Unless it affects my sanity, I've not noticed any I'll affects.
    I'm not sure what beard oil or any of that stuff could do for me. I do have to crop it occasionally, as it curls in weird ways after it gets over a couple of inches. But, if I have to put oil on my face to prevent the curling, I'd just assume crop it as I've always done.

I did shave once, when my daughters were young, and they cried every time they saw me till it grew back, as did every one else, ha ha!
    I do get told that I look much younger than I am, of which I'm grateful, even if it is a damned lie. These days, I treasure the lie, and avoid mirrors, ha ha

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  48. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, beard oil used frequently will soften your beard but it will not straighten out that curl. If you are not experiencing dry skin or a beard that feels like straw in the winter time, there probably isn't any reason or advantage for you to use it. One simple, cheap way to see if there is any advantage to you is to buy a bottle of jojoba oil from a local GNC Store. It is made from natural plant seeds & oils, has virtually no scent or odor, is great for skin & hair (and anywhere else that needs a natural lubricant), is used in virtually everyone's beard oil and is about half the price! Try it; you (or your lady friend) might like it!

Most people say it like "ho - ho - ba" oil.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

(or your lady friend) might like it!

Eh, her beard could probably use some, ha ha.

I have a few military style boar bristle brushes that I keep scattered about. They keep it groomed and shiny looking, free of crumbs. Plus, it scratches the occasional itch better than when I used to just rub my face on trees.

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Reading this thread makes me think this gentleman would approve:

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had this beard since 1970, but I never use beard oil--makes my chin break out. I'm like Cosmic--a good boar bristle brush really does the trick.

Eric
    Posted 4 years ago #
  52. mattsem

mattsem

Login to Send PM

I haven't shaved or trimmed my beard in last 2 years and man I'm loving it
    I started using beard oil almost a year ago and since then I can't go back. Beard oil is nothing special. It's just a mixture of natural oils which provides the beard with the helpful nutrients to stay strong and healthy looking. I have tried many brands. The biggest difference is the scent. Most of them do the same thing. Just don't go very cheap as their oil variety are limited and you won't get the full benefit of all the available and commonly used oils for beard. I like beard brands four wise. Also heard a lot about a highly anticipated brand called Adonis & Venus. But never tried it yet.
    For those who never tried beard oil I recommend trying a bottle at least. There is no harm in trying right?

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine is down to about 3" now and I have been considering giving some oil a try. Although my picture suggests otherwise I have almost always had stubble or a beard. I have very rarely let it grow beyond an inch in length so never seen the need to use oil.

Now that there is more length in it than usual I have found myself wondering if using oil would help as it grows very thick and quite wiry. Also quite white in parts. (I am only going to be 33 in 10 days) Obviously oil is not going to change the white bits but I although it does not bother me I find it hard not to notice it happening.

Anyhow I guess there is only one way to find out if it would help and that is to try some. I believe seeing this thread has made my mind up on the matter. However, I can't see me liking oil on my face.

Posted 4 years ago #
  54. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just trimmed my beard all the way back yesterday.

It had gotten really full and my wife said she wanted to see my face again.

So, after some agreements on how it would eventually be, I trimmed it down to about a 1/2 inch in length.

I honestly didn't think I would care but I miss it and still reach for it occasionally.

Posted 4 years ago #
  55. mattsem

mattsem

Login to Send PM

@cobguy, that's it will grow back again. maybe next time you shouldn't give in easy

Posted 4 years ago #
  56. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jazz

You really don't get oil on your skin. For the most part it gets absorbed by the beard hair. At least if you do get any on your skin it's not noticible and you would probably be using too much. I'm like you; I don't like the feel of girly lotions on my skin. Beard oil really softens your beard but it will still be wiry if that is the kind of beard you have. And if you choose to wear a longer beard it really seems to help protect it from the elements & things like coat zippers. I use it 2-3 times per wk & I can always tell when my beard is ready for it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My beard is too wirey? I like the scent of the oil? Feeding the beard? And, "they" say the metro-sexual fad is past!

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. mattsem

mattsem

Login to Send PM

@johnnyreb, agree with whatever you said
    the good thin about natural oils is that their composition is very close to our skin oil. So the whole idea is to replace the skin oils that has been washed off during shower with natural oils for nourishment and skin protection
    these natural oils are good for both hair and skin and they get absorbed into them

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. pipebaum81

pipebaum81

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give me 28 days and I have a kick ass beard. Sadly the Air Force has a zero tolerance for manly beard growth. The Gods laugh...

In other news, if I have a afternoon formation in dress blues I have to shave before attending because my 1500 shadow puts me out of regs. My face is not amused and makes me pay. ANGRY

"I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing."
    -huntertrw
    Posted 4 years ago #
  60. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

I'm Irish and Crow Indian. I can grow a mustache and goatee, but that's about it. The rest of it is... "tufts." LOL

Posted 4 years ago #
  61. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm overdue for a trim. I shaved mine into a Van Dyke for a convention in October (I was dressed as Othar Tryggvason, for any other "Girl Genius" fans), and then let it grow back in November and December. The beard oil has definitely helped during static season.

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I began growing mine out a week ago as today is my last day of work where I have been required to be shaven. I have never had the opportunity to grow my facial hair out as I was in the Navy for five years and at my current job for the last six.

I usually shave maybe once a week because my stubble isn't too dark or unruly for anyone to care and also if I shave everyday my face breaks out. I've been looking into this sort of stuff (oils) because I have no experience as I have been on the outside.

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. drezz01

drezz01

Login to Send PM

I've maintained a modest beard for the past 4 years or so. I can't really remember the last time I was clean shaven. I remember not liking it however.

I use a beard oil in the winter to reduce the amount of dry skin that ends up trapped in the beard in cold dry weather. Plus it smells of bergamot - whatever that is.

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. wcasey

wcasey

Login to Send PM

Reviving this thread instead of making a new one

I've had a goatee for as long as I can remember. I finally decided to grow a full beard and I'm currently on my 7th week. The hardest part for me was getting the sides to grow, but they are finally filling in!

I currently use the following:
    * Organix Thick and Full Biotin & Collagen Shampoo / Conditioner. (I get it at Walmart)
    * Argon Oil - right after I take a shower.
    * Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails Biotin & Collagen Supplement.

After the Argon Oil and Supplement runs out I plan on switching to the following to see if I get different results
    * VitaBeard - A full daily vitamin which includes Biotin.
    * Lumberjacks Beard Oil - Enchanted Pine Forest (LOL, I bet that smells manly!)
    * or...RockyMountainBeard oil - Citrus Musk Lumberjack
    * I was also out at Whole Foods Market and they had a beard oil, but I forget the name, but damn they wanted $16 bucks!

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My beard has been growing back since my last post up there ... where did all these new gray ones come from?

This winter was fairly dry and I did use some jojoba oil on my beard and scalp with good results.

It is important to only use a couple of drops rubbed between the palms otherwise it's too much.

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You did say Bardhal, didn't you?

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really can't grow a beard, but I'm trying as of May 4th. I'm afraid the best I'll ever manage is the classic Van Dyke with no connecter growth. Good coverage on chin and 'stache, but precious little elsewhere. Think Johnny Depp in the Pirate movies.

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 4 years ago #
  68. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard about a study of facial hair that found that it has a high level of bacteria associated with ... fecal matter. I don't necessarily believe it, but that was what this study claimed. I used to have a mustache, for years, but I finally decided it made me look too depressive. I think a beard would make me look positively ancient. About the bacteria study ... I don't know what to believe. The jury's still out, I guess.

When I finally shaved off my mustache, my late wife didn't comment at all, for weeks. I finally took her out for an elegant supper and asked her if she'd noticed anything new about me, in recent weeks. She never guessed, and when I announced that I'd shaved my mustache weeks ago, she was quite embarrassed. Likewise, when my dad quit chain smoking pipes and cigars after about 45 years, my mom didn't catch on until he told her. Isn't life funny.

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I shaved off my beard years ago when it was all white and I looked many years younger because of losing the beard.

Edit..I forgot to say I never thought EVER about putting any kind of treatment on my beard, oil or whatever, just washed and combed it, like my head.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  70. johnnyreb

johnnyreb

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mso,

That study was about hand washing. If you don't wash your hands properly you can end up with fecal matter anywhere. All the beardless non hand washers will end up with fecal matter on their faces! I wouldn't be surprised to learn that study was paid for my the Gillette Co!

Posted 4 years ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawdawg, donjgiles, 64alex, monkeylyf, craiginthecorn, alaskanpiper, danimalia, derhammer, gatorlope