PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hey you reptile lovers (I know you're out there!)

Let's see some pics of your "Un-Furry" critters.
It's getting warm and Rufus loves his spot on the screen.

He closes his eyes and just hangs here for hours.
Just as I was about to take the photo though,

he popped his eyes open and gave me that "What the hell are you doing" look. :?
rufus-396x600.jpg

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I have a bearded dragon and a garter snake right now.

In the past I've owned rough green snakes, brown basilisks, iguanas, and leopard geckos.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks clickklick!
Yaddy ... what coloration is your Beardie?

Got any pics?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great pics and great thread!
I used to have 4 Leopard Geckos, Oscar, Frankie, Suzy and Miranda, may they rest in peace!
No more pets since, but sometimes I name the lizards in the garden.
I'm very fond of reptiles, but I've decided to leave them in the wild.
That said, I've always wanted a Gila Monster, but I'm pretty sure they're on the endangered species list.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Dottie, you scoundrel, how'd you know about that horrific accident in the bushes? :rofl:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Well, I've had hundreds of pets (including unusual ones like possums, a fox and a bear), but never a lizard. My sister has pet snails and pet scorpions, both pretty useless pets in my opinion. What's Rufus' personality like? Is he affectionate? Does he play or like being petted? I looked them up, they're apparently omnivores, but what the heck do you feed him?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
How can you have a screen name like "layinpipe" and be camera shy with yer trouser snake!!?? :rofl:
dottiewarden ... might be able to snag that Gila Monster for ya here in AZ!

I agree with the "leaving them in the wild" but this one was a rescue.
simnettpratt ... When they are little they eat all crickets but then turn to dark leafy greens

as they get older. He also eats cactus fruit and certain flowers with Hibiscus being a favorite.

I wouldn't call him affectionate, per se, but he doesn't mind being pet on top of his head

and will sit on my shoulder while I walk around.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
cobguy, hahaha touche Sir, touche. For the most part it is just hard to find him in his enclosure as there are many many bushes he likes to hide himself in. He loves those bushes. Plus, his one eye makes him self conscious and he has bad red eye when photographed. Last time I tried to get a pic for my showyourtrousersnake.com avatar, he spit all over the camera. I guess it was in self defense, but he's an ornary bastard sometimes.
Wait, we are talking about reptiles, right?! :nana:

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I used to have a horny toad. That dude was cool. He would hide under the sand when people came over... Haha. When nobody was watching him he would run all over the place kicking up sand like a crazy person. Occasionally he would puff himself up to about twice his normal size and just sit there. Supposedly they can shoot blood out of their eyes when threatened, but he never had to so I've never seen it :crying:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Well he isn't a reptile, but he also isn't furry. I've never been a big reptile or insect fan, but I do love my Green Cheeked Conure. His name is Boswell T. Bird, after the pipe maker. He is about 1 years old. He hasn't been DNA tested for gender, so we just made him a boy. We've had him for about six months. He has always been really friendly except during his first molt. He did not want to be touched, and I have the scars to prove it. His wings were clipped when we got him from the pet store, but he is now fully flighted. He has to be touching someone all the time, his favorite toy is his plastic ball with a bell in it, and his favorite food is split peas.
These first pictures are taken a couple months after I bought him (he was about 6 months). His wings were clipped. This is when we learned how much he loves the parakeet ball toys.

These second ones are him now. He is fully flighted (see the long blue feathers he has gained). We are working on his flight training, and can now call him from different rooms in the house. He will fly right to us. His favorite thing to do is to go on my keyboard and try to remove letters.

I've never owned a bird before him, but I am glad I have Boswell. I feel bad for a lot of pet store birds. I always donate food and toys for the parrot cages when I go in to buy more supplies for Bozzy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
@simnettpratt ... I'll get a good shot today or tomorrow for ya!
@layinpipe ... double touche! LOL
@ruger ... Horned Lizards are very cool and I have seen them squirt blood when under stress.

The Native Americans around here call them "Che" which means Grandfather.
@psychpipes ... Aawwwk! Pretty Bird!! lol Very cool that he actually comes when called.
@condorlover ... OUCH!

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Bearded dragons are pretty cool, especially when they do their weird little head thing. (I'm sure you know what I mean) I personally had a few Leopard Geckos and the wife had the dragons. She misses hers so I'm thinking I may try and get her one for her birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.