Be Warned Of The Dangers Of Worcestershire Sauce!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Whilst reading Pierre Berton's excellent "The Last Spike" which is his second volume describing the building of the Canadian Pacific Railroad (vol. 1 was a bit tedious) I was reading about how it was determined for several reasons that the North West of the continent was 'dry' meaning it was alcohol free.
One chap upon arrest for intoxication claimed he was high from drinking Worcestershire Sauce!!!
Now I'm a huge fan of the stuff (Lea & Perrins or my favourite Henderson's Relish (made in Sheffield)) and I do know it does contain alcohol, but to get drunk on the stuff? Blimey, you'd need to drink a couple of barrels to get mildly tipsy.
I just had to laugh at the guy's imaginative excuse.
Other excuses proffered were drinking peppermint or vanilla. Of course the Mounties were having none of it.....fines were dished out.
I just thought it was funny....
Regards,
Jay.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I can believe the vanilla line, I know that imitation vanilla extract is around 35% abv. Or 70 Proof

Reactions: BROBS

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I believe it , on station waiting for a space station splashdown, it got canceled for bad weather, not once but twice, everyone started buying aftershave, and not for shaving, passeways smelled like a barber shop, when the Quatermaster wised up it was all gone. :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Thanks Jay! In my years as a copper I never heard that one. A secret I'll carry to my grave is, a fresh, unheard and funny excuse could, I stress could, result in a walk and no arrest or citation. The guy who said he couldn't walk a "heel to toe" line because he was wearing a friend's cowboy boots got to take a cab home. I did impound his car though.

Reactions: saintpeter

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some of the methods employed to bring in whiskey were quite ingenious.
One group of 'pregnant' ladies had hooch filled rubber bladders strapped to their stomachs!
Another method was to blow eggs and fill them up with a syringe afore sealing the holes with wax.
Just goes to show, when there is a need for something, it can be found.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Who is Gordon Lightfoot?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Jay, Warren pretty well hit it spot on. The way I understand it, the song medley I am referring to (which is great music, btw) was written specifically for a Canadian Broadcasting System documentary on the CPRR. Whether that's actually true or not, I can't say. Always glad to see you pop in on us!

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
Just remember. South Park warned us of the true dangers of Worcestershire Sauce. Do not use it as an embalming fluid.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love the stuff too, I drink it by the six pack and don’t catch even the slightest buzz. I could be wrong, as I don’t have a bottle near by me but I don’t think today’s version even contains alcohol, don’t know if it ever did but it sounds like that guy that they arrested was indeed feeling good.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Worcestershire Sauce? After shave? My stomach says thou shalt wait for a better swig. However, after a particularly rough underway replenishment on my minesweeper, where us swabbies were out pulling the pulley line across with supplies and a fuel oil line, and we were all totally soaked and somewhat chilled from sea water, the corpsman came around with a carton of little airline bottles of rum to bolster our flagging circulations, as it were. I promptly scouted about to all the straight arrow Mormons and conservative denomination sailors and got myself a good supply of rum, promptly knocked back, and then down for a nice nap. Yo-ho-ho, and you know the rest.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
"I'd do it again" is also a good song by Gordon lightfoot, but yeah "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is by far my favorite by him

Status
Not open for further replies.