Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to a special on the radio about how someone had posted some inflammatory remarks on a news site by an anonymous poster, and the person that was the subject of the post, subpoena'd the news site to reveal who the person was (and their IP address) and sued the poster for $400,000.
One of my customers, who is a trial attorney, came in, and I talked about this with her, mostly because it was on my mind from the radio show. She told me that this is becoming more common, here, especially when a business is raked through the coals on a site. She also mentioned one ebay user who sued.
I thought that I would mention this, because of posts that tend to target ebay users and companies on here. I am no lawyer, and I haven't seen anything terrible posted on here. But, you never know when someone is going to get their drawers in a wad over something and sue.
The freedom of speech stops at lies, and sometimes (in our own worlds) we think that we are in the right when we meet an impasse with someone in a business or personal transaction, and we want to vent or warn others. But, in the world of "others" the line between truth and flame get blurry.

So, we might want to reflect a minute before we post something that might end up getting blown up into something we don't want to deal with.
Just a friendly neighborhood warning. Carry on... :puffy:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It doesn't need to be a "lie," rather it simply needs do be inaccurate. Even if you think it is accurate, the other side may not, and the winner is the party that persuades the trier of fact as to the accuracy of the statement. So, yeah, you should be careful.

Dec 24, 2012
Definitely be careful, and if you are posting anything that someone might conceivably sue you over, make sure you always use a proxy server to mask your IP address. Come in through Russia preferably.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People need to be accountable and write responsibly. There is a time when it is prudent to say

nothing. The danger is when that is all the time.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is why there's www.thedirty.com so you have the legal buffer through Nik Richie if it goes to court.

I think gossip about famous people is different, because they benefit in a way from negative press. The tabloids have done more to make nasty people even more famous than the intended shame. I think it's a little different when it's private citizens and businesses. But, I'm no lawyer. I prefer to not get dirty with stuff concerning stars and politicians. But, I'm no lawyer.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Funny you mention 'the dirty' as I have heard reliably that if he does not get bankrupted for millions of dollars by the legal profession then he might not want to start his own car up as one or two people he has picked on might not be as forgiving as the average person on this forum. As to law suits they are expensive unless you can get it launched on contingency or you own the firm and don't have a life to speak of or any friends. I really cannot see anyone doing so over opinions on tobacco. Ebay, well thats another matter but after winning two auctions in a row I am more forgiving these days!

I don't know about lawsuits being too expensive. As a business owner in the creative field, I have had a couple of successful suits to protect my own copyright and trademark. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. But, I think there's a difference between protecting your livelihood and just seeking vengeance for getting butthurt on a forum. LOL. But, some people...
I don't think that saying you hate a tobacco is really what any of this is about. Middleton Cherry would have had a field day if that was the case, lol.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I'll look at it this way, if someone feels the need to sue me for something I say, I'll countersue them for harrassment, stalking, and emotional distress. What's good for the goose, right?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Everyone I have ever met, will meet, might meet; every business I have ever had, will or might do business with are all the most wonderful people in the world

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Wow. Trailboss, that's absurd...thankfully a judge had the good sense to realize this was a mindless money grab. Too bad it'd be 'cruel and unusual punishment' and therefore unacceptable to make the mastermind of that group box a gorilla.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
At least, it seems this 'group' of sue happy lunatics is done and gone...after googling them, it seems that every action they took that was not settled was dismissed. They apparently threatened 4 for every 1 they actually served. Why that kind of psychopathy hasn't been branded "litigation terrorism" is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.