PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Just returned from my local B&M with a bag of BCA. I hadn't bought any in about a year, and forgot exactly how good it is.though I had been craving some for weeks. It's one of the few aromatics I like, along with 1Q. As the weather gets cold and I'm mainly smoking in the living room, I do a few more aros than I would in the warm weather.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I have to agree. A customer of mine told me he smokes BCA pretty much exclusively, and I remembered I have a bit cellared away. It is a pleasant break from my usual English blends. When I started pipe smoking in the early 80s; BCA and 1Q were pretty much all I smoked.
:puffpipe:

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
BTW, a rough half and half mix of BCA and 1Q is quite nice. As well, either, mixed in about a 25%-50% ratio to a codger burley makes a nice smoke, too.
As noted, very nice and easy smokes. Kind of like a coffee with lots of cream. Not a bad thing to have once in a while, but not really what you want most of the time.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Had some BCA at the West Coast show. It's a pretty good blend. Nice black cavendish with a bit of rum and vanilla flavoring. Luckily the Scandinavian Tobacco Group had samples and I filled a bag with about three or four bowls worth.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
BTW, a rough half and half mix of BCA and 1Q is quite nice. As well, either, mixed in about a 25%-50% ratio to a codger burley makes a nice smoke, too.
Yes I've done both, and you are absolutely right.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Many don't know this ,but BCA has been around for many years . smoked my frist bowl of BCA back in 1970.

and still keep it on hand . my friend has smoked nothing but BCA for more then 30 years & nothing else. :puffy:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
It's an aromatic baccy blended by Lane's Limited; they don't give their baccys cool names like Haunted Bookshop.
1-Q, BC-A and RLP-6 are some examples of their names. You can get 8oz of each for $15 from smokingpipes here:
Lane's baccys
Hey, I have some 1-Q and RLP-6 and some Burleys. Will have to try blending them; thanks for the advice :)

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
BCA = Black Cavendish Aromatic
My local B&M sells 1Q under the name "Unique" (I get the correlation), and MV1000 as 14K (get that too, CB Gold, 14K), But they sell BCA as "Point IV", don't get the relationship there at all. If you can figure that one out, please enlighten me.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
I tried the 50/50 mix of BCA and 1Q last night, and I have to agree, it was a really good smoke. Minimal relights, and no gurgle or bite. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely do that again!

-PM

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i like aromatics from time to time. not a thing wrong with that. change is good.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I tried the 50/50 mix of BCA and 1Q last night, and I have to agree, it was a really good smoke. Minimal relights, and no gurgle or bite. Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely do that again!

-PM
Yeah that's great, the additional BCA really makes the 1Q pop IMO. Another one I've tried, suggested by an old timer I was speaking to at a tobacco shop one night; mix BCA with Prince Albert. He said he thought it was better than Captain Black White, and I agree. I also took it a step further, and added a little VA flake to it. That was nice, but the flake burned so much slower than everything else, so you were left will all flake at the end of the bowl. There wasn't anything necessarily wrong with that; it's actually not a bad finish, just becomes more one dimensional for awhile.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
As Teddy said BCA has been around for a long time.It's the first tobacco that I smoked (1971) I'm not sure what happened around 1990 Either my taste changed or the tobacco did.Since then I haven't liked it quite as much as before.It's a complicated activity that we pipe smokers engage in.

Jul 15, 2011
I really like the 1Q and the RLP 6 that Lane offers, but I havent had the chance to try this one yet. I am not really a huge fan of blends that are nothing but Black Cavendish since a lot of the ones that I have tried have that weird "chemical" aromatic taste to them, but this doesn't sound too bad. Might have to give it a whirl sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.