PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I'm a big BBQ/grilling guy, but I'm old school. I hate using fancy gas grills. I have used a weber kettle drum charcoal BBQ for the last 8 years. It gave up the ghost a few weeks ago, so I had to buy something new. This past weekend I ended up getting one of those Big Green Egg charcoal bbqs. I'm getting used to it, but so far I think I will love it. Do any of you guys have one? Do you like it? Tricks and tips?

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Yeppers, most awesome smoker I have ever used !
Kinda has a learning curve to it, but I'm still a newbe to Big Green Egg too !
Tom

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Can't be of much help on the BGE, Peck, but when I was researching smokers a long time ago, I found nothing but rave reviews from those who own them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm a weber man myself Peck. I typically do the Thanksgiving Turkey on the kettle grill. That being said, I have Big Green Egg envy though. It will be my next grill/smoker. What are you enjoying about your new egg? How has the transition gone so far?
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Pat - it uses a lot less charcoal than the weber kettle. The ceramic provides incredible insulation. That said, I am still getting used to adjusting the vents to keep a constant low and slow temperature.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Man that must be nice. The one major pain in the ass about the kettle is having to keep a chimney of charcoal going on long operations... Am I remembering correctly that the interior shape of the egg is also supposed to help direct/redirect heat more efficiently too?
Have fun with your adjustments mate. That's the kind of hit and miss learning that is fun to go through. Particularly with a good glass of wine or bottle of beer to anchor the learning.
-- Pat

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I've cooked on them but I didn't like it very much. I would probably get used to it after a season of cooking on it. Just like any new BBQ/Smoker, it takes time to learn the tricks of each one.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Peck-I have been using ceramic grills for many years and have owned several...BGE, Kamado, and the Kamado Joe. I taught classes a few years ago for one of the local distributers of the BGE. All cook wonderfully.
Learn how to properly load it with good lump charcoal, then learn how to light it properly as well. Temperature control is not difficult if loaded correctly and burn is started correctly (Kind of like smoking pipes :mrgreen:).
Your BGE will be your best friend and you will amaze your dinner guests! I favor the Kamado Joe over the others but they all can cook beautifully. Enjoy.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Inherited mine from my uncle... Amazing cooking machine!
Be careful to remember to "burp" it (crack the lid slightly before opening) when cooking at high temps. Otherwise you will lose the hair on your arms!
I've see cats bake in it it regulates temp so well! For BBQ I can set the airflow and maintain 215 - 220 steadily.
Congrats and enjoy your new BGE!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After my wife read an article on the horror of cooking with charcoal (cancer) my Weber went away. We tried gas, which is OK for camping but I'm not crazy about it.
I am now reduced to using an electric grill which gives surprisingly good results and my electric Masterbuilt smoker which is fantastic. But, I still yearn for the double packs of 40lb charcoal, the 10 foot flame from too much lighter fluid, and the smell of burnt hair on my arms. Awwww, the good old days.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am a big fan of the off-set smokers and real wood skoking vs charcol. I love having to figure out each pit and controlling the temperatures. That being said, when I start running low on wood or charcoal or the longer smokes, I sometimes envy the guys with the BGE. Much easier to control and much less fuel. Like everything, pros and cons. I grew with off-sets and when I first saw a BGE, I felt it was cheating some what. lol Have fun with your BGE and smoking in general, both meets and pipes. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.