PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If I had to compare BBF to either FVF or Capstan, I would say it compares better to the Capstan. FVF is a dark, steam pressed flake, Capstan has not had steam added to the process and neither has BBF.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have some aged BBF and I have to say IMO it is not nearly as flavorful as the other two. I was expecting more and left wanting.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
BBF is steamed for an hour less than FVF, otherwise they're identical. Of the three BBF is there only one I haven't smoked. I'm putting together my summer flake TAD list and was surprised to read somewhere BBF mentioned frequently as a stand in for Capstan Blue. 8O :oops: I guess I'm trying to figure out of there is enough difference to warrant buying both.
Thanks Neil.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I LOVE all 3. But of i had to choose only 1 it would be Capstan since it is easiest to prepare and smoke. I'm just smoking it in Teking. That being sad, every virginia lover should try BBF, when it shines it is amazing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My batch of 2006 BBF is sublime. It is creamy and flavorful with a nice sweetness to it. I also love the FVF and Capstan though they are very different. I just cracked a tin of 2004 FVF and man is it awesome. All the rough edges are gone and the flavor of raisins and figs are very pronounced. I cannot wait till the Capstan has a decade of age as I beleive it will be incredible.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I cannot wait till the Capstan has a decade of age as I believe it will be incredible.
Harris ... the stuff ages remarkably well.
I was lucky enough to recently try a sample from 1938 and it was amazing.
We smoked it side by side with some fresh Capstan for comparison ... darker, richer tones all around.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobguy, 1938 Captsan sounds incredible. When you opened the tin was the tobacco still moist? Did it wreak of stewed fruit flavors such as figs or raisins or prunes or plums? How rich were the flavors, and how sweet did it taste? I won't be around to smoke 77 year old Capstan but hopefully I will smoke some 20 year old stuff.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have had some tins of best brown that were really nice and sweet, with a distinct flavor that I don't get elsewhere. All three are worth the price of admission in my opinion.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
My preference order :
- Capstan Blue ( pretty much tin ready )

- FVF ( lots of prep time but worth the effort )

- BBF ( also lots of prep time but seemed bland compared to the other two ).
YMWV especially with aged stuff.
edit to add I am specifically referring to Capstan Blue FLAKE , not the RR version ( found it not as tin ready ) and definitely NOT the yellow which invariably scorched my tongue, both in flake and RR form.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
cobguy, 1938 Captsan sounds incredible. When you opened the tin was the tobacco still moist? Did it wreak of stewed fruit flavors such as figs or raisins or prunes or plums? How rich were the flavors, and how sweet did it taste?
I was not present at the tin opening but it was described as filling the room with a deep stewed fruit smell.

The tobacco was still perfectly moist but somewhat falling apart.

Flavor-wise, very rich and smooth. Here was my comparison:
Where the fresh flake has bright, hay / alfalfa-like scents with light honey / cinnamon / rum, the aged sample has turned to a dark fruit smell like Medjool Dates with dark honey / burnt sugar / aged rum flavors. The mouth-feel has softened and is almost velvety. I could retrohale each and every puff without irritation and gladly did so.
Sorry to the OP for the slight derailment! :)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback folks!
Sorry to the OP for the slight derailment!
It's the derailments that make these forums fun :puffpipe:
every virginia lover should try BBF, when it shines it is amazing.

a distinct flavor that I don't get elsewhere
You know, I've read comments similar to these several times wrt BBF and they're part of why I'm so interested in trying it.
I am specifically referring to Capstan Blue FLAKE
I've only tried Blue RR. Thanks for making the distinction.
Well, I had planned for FVF and hoped to pick one of the two to avoid too much stylistic overlap but I guess I'll just have to buy a bunch of everything. Poor me :mrgreen:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobhuy, thanks for the review, sounds incredible, you are a lucky guy to have smoked that stuff.
bigpond, FVF is my most finicky flake of the 29 I have cellared. Getting it to smoke consistently in the right pipe took a lot of experimenting. BBF is so much easier to smoke in numerous different pipes. I will say that the tin of 04 FVF I recently cracked is sublime. I was able to buy it recently with that age but also have pounds of 2012 that I am aging and it will be so worth the wait.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
That's interesting Harris. FVF is a kitten for me compared to St James Flake. Or perhaps SJF has broken me (in). A pipe buddy sent me a large FVF sample from 2013 which has been pretty amazing compared to what I usually smoke. I can't make it last long enough to age. I'll just have to buy enough.
Anyway, I fold and stuff FVF and just ignore the matches as they pile up.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, having now smoked BBF and Capstan Blue back to back I can say that while they may fall from the same tree, they are very distinct. Capstan Blue is cleaner, earthier, and a lot more straight forward. It's also a lot more consistent.
BBF is a different animal altogether. I totally get why folks might consider this a dull or a one note tobacco, and why it's often referred to as a pita. That said, with the right pipe and the right environment, holy cow...this is quite possibly the world's finest tobacco for my tastes. It's fascinating to see how the various VA's shift throughout the bowl, each distinct yet subtle. Milk chocolate, a hint of orange brandy, with an overall note of brown bread with rich, dark stewed stone fruits. Amazing stuff. This is what FVF wants to be when it's grows up!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I find Best Brown Flake to be somewhat forgettable, whereas Full Virginia Flake is probably my all-time favorite blend. BBF is grassy and airy, whereas FVF has so much more depth. And I like depth. I've still got 4oz of BBF left to be proven wrong, which would be fine by me.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
You can tune out while smoking FVF and not suffer for it, which isn't the case with BBF. If your mind wanders you go back to the one note, dull territory. If you drop what you're doing and just smoke, well, this is like a harris tweed sport coat. There's marvelous detail but you have to seek it out.
Substitute "you" above with "me"or "I" because we all have different tastes...some guys even like latakia :laughat: :crazy:

But this stuff is right up my alley. Tried smoking it in a new uncaked pipe and it wasn't as mind blowing. Really need a well seasoned pipe.

Which reminds me...ugh...breaking in pipes...shouldn't this be the carvers job?!

Status
Not open for further replies.