Raleigh, NC
Britain’s Best Briars?
300px-BBB74Xmas01.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Originally it was Blumfeld's Best Briars, then in response to the popular interpretation became known as Britain's Best Briars. Originally the company was known as Adolph Frankau and Co. Ltd, founded in 1847. Frankau hired Louis Blumfeld at the tender age of 14. Frankau died in 1856 and his widow planned to sell the company. Enter Thomas Carlyle, who advised Frankau's widow to entrust the company to Blumfeld who greatly expanded the company's operations on an international scale. The rest is pipe history. At the turn of the last century BBB was the undisputed giant of the British Pipe trade.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
What’s the context?
Initially, I was thinking Better Business Bureau. I’ve seen it used for Bored Beyond Belief in chat / forum short speak
According to the urban dictionary, it could also mean “triple B” or Big Booty Bitches or any of another 7 definitions :twisted:
Urban dictionary: BBB
Edit - wow, two posts as I typed this. An acronym related to pipes makes sense as well :mrgreen:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
BBB’s are usually great smokers, but this one may cause tongue bite.
I’ve seen plenty of spider webs in estates but this is the first wasp nest.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The BBB logo was initially meant to stand for Blumfeld, Blumfeld and Blumfeld (Jacob and his two sons), but I don't know if it was ever referred to as "Blumfeld, Blumfeld and Blumfeld." In any case, "Britain's Best Briar" was subsequently retrofitted onto the three initials in the logo.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The BBB logo was initially meant to stand for Blumfeld, Blumfeld and Blumfeld (Jacob and his two sons), but I don't know if it was ever referred to as "Blumfeld, Blumfeld and Blumfeld." In any case, "Britain's Best Briar" was subsequently retrofitted onto the three initials in the logo.
Sorry Pitchfork, but I'm with Jesse on this one. The exact origin of BBB is a bit of a mystery, but I find it very unlikely it ever stood for Blumfeld, Blumfeld, and Blumfeld. Louis (not Jacob) Blumfeld was born about 1838. He had eight children, three of whom were sons. The boys were James Louis (b. 1865), Joseph (b. 1870), and Siegfried (b. 1874). It's true that James Louis and Siegfried were eventually partners in the business (Joseph became a doctor), but that was almost a generation after the logo BBB was trademarked. In other words the BBB logo dates to the beginning of 1876, at which time the boys were between 1 and 10 years old; even if Louis wanted to have a logo that commemorated his young sons' names as well as his (which seems improbable to me for a business that was already well established), wouldn't it have been BBBB (i.e. Louis and his three sons)? Until I find better evidence I'm inclined to think the BBB stood for Blumfeld's Best Briars or Britain's Best Briars.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's OK, Jon. It could be apocryphal (or just plain made up), but this obituary for Jacob Louis Blumfeld says that he once said, when asked "some years ago," that BBB stood for himself and his two sons.
https://books.google.com/books?id=QZNDAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA3-PA30&dq=trademark+frankau&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5pMHKl5bcAhUKPN8KHeLOAkoQ6AEIQzAF#v=onepage&q=trademark%20frankau&f=false
C6plIIj.png

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know why it's so hard to blow up the text for that page, but misterlowercase posted a transcription a few years ago (of course he did!).
------------------
Louis Blumfeld, originator of the world renowned BBB trade mark died recently in England in his eightysecond year. The famous trade mark through the activities of the parent house of Adolph Frankau & Co Ltd London England is known in every corner of the country on this side of the Atlantic. The following obituary notice is reprinted from the English journal, Tobacco:
"Widespread regret will be evoked by the announcement of the death of Louis Blumfeld of the firm of Adolph Frankau & Co Ltd merchants of 119 Queen Victoria street London EC.
Mr Blumfeld who was born in 1838 entered the counting house of Adolph Frankau at fourteen years of age and exhibiting an unusually keen business aptitude soon attained a responsible position. It is a point of interest that Mr Frankau was a citizen of the United States of America and had commenced in London in 1848, a date when briar tobacco pipes were quite unknown.
In 1856 Mr Adolph Frankau died and left the business to his widow who seriously considered the desirability of closing down altogether and probably would have carried through her intention but for the assurance given by young Blumfeld with only four years experience that he was prepared to undertake the control, Mrs Frankau having great confidence in his tact and energy, placed him in the responsible position of manager and in the early sixties she took him into partnership retaining this profitable business association until 1887 when she retired.
In the latter year Mr Blumfeld took into partnership his eldest son James L Blumfeld, H Hinricks and Walter Allen.
Mr Hinricks still retains a position on the board but Mr Allen (who had been for many years a traveller for the firm) severed his connection with the company some time later, established a busines on his own account in Manchester and died two years ago.
In the commencement of 1899 the firm of Adolph Frankau & Co was converted into a limited liability company. Mr Louis Blumfeld became chairman and director, and the managing directors were Mr Blumfeld, Mr Hinricks and S Blumfeld. The other director was FJ Frankau barrister (a son of the later Adolph Frankau who is now the chairman of the company), James L Blumfeld, and S Blumfeld still remain in the positions above indicated.
Louis Blumfeld owing to advancing years retired from the chairmanship in 1917 and twelve months later he relinquished his position on the directorate. Therefore during the last two years he ceased to take any active share in the business . For some time before his death advancing age had enfeebled his physical condition. At length he became afflicted with bladder trouble and acting under medical advice underwent an operation. This apparently was successful but shortly afterwards he collapsed and the end was then not far off. After a lengthy and busy life in which he had made troops of warm friends, he met with peaceful death.
An interesting feature of his career was that he was the founder of the BBB trade mark for tobacco pipes. This was as far back as 1869 and according to an utterance by one of his friends it was the great joy of his life that he made the BBB pipe world renowned. This pipe was registered in 1875 when the TradeMarks Registration Act came into force.
In the year 1875 when Hempstead was remarkable for its sylvan glades and elysian fields the late Mr Blumfeld had a house erected in Prince Arthur road and occupied it until his death. Three days after he had passed away his remains were cremated at Golders Green Crematorium. In private life his great hobby was water colors of which he possessed a large and valuable collection and as an amateur water color painter he attained quite a good reputation.
Mr Blumfeld was the doyen of the pipe branch of the tobacco trade. Business interests made him a frequent traveler. It was not uncommon for travel from London to Vienna and back half a dozen times a year and personally he maintained his Austrian connection for over sixty years. In the words of a gentleman who knew him well there was no better known man on the cross Channel boats and on the railway from London to Vienna.
The late Mr Blumfeld married in 1864 (his wife died in 1907), and leaves eight children - three sons and five daughters to mourn not only an indulgent father but a good companion. It only remains to state that his attitude towards his subordinates was invariably kind and considerate and that in losing him they feel that they have been deprived of a personal friend.
Some years ago when a representative asked the late Mr Blumfeld what was the origin of the trademark BBB ,he replied that the three letters represented himself and his two sons."

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm wondering if the birth of his third son in 1874 might have been the motivation for the 3 B's logo, which was registered shortly thereafter (assuming the account above isn't totally erroneous). And does anyone know when "Blumfeld's Best Briars" or "Britain's Best Briars" first came into use?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hey Pitch,
The Blumfeld obit is a great find! While the US runs of industry trade mags are relatively complete, the UK runs miss vital years (at least outside of Britain); so the fact that the obit was reprinted on this side of the Atlantic is very cool.
As for BBB, first off I can't recall seeing an explanation of the initials that demonstrably predates the 20th century. Even this obit is written in 1920 and provides hearsay on what Blumfeld is said to have stated to a reporter years earlier. I don't dismiss it entirely, but tend to believe the more contemporaneous the info the better.
What I can tell you is that the Trademark Act was passed in 1875, which is why the earliest trademarks are dated January 1, 1876; and BBB was one of the very first (#39 in fact). However when the trademark was applied for and granted shouldn't be confused with when it was first used in the marketplace. The trademark filing for the BBB logo in the US states that the trademark was first used in 1869 (which is consistent with what is stated in the obit). In 1869 only one of Blumfeld's sons had been born (James Louis, in 1865). For that reason I still don't believe that BBB stood for Blumfeld, Blumfeld, and Blumfeld. I think it more likely that either the reporter got it wrong (not an uncommon experience for anyone who's had much to do with the press), or he got it right and Louis Blumfeld just made the explanation up. Again, not an uncommon experience; interviewees are not on their oath and can say whatever they want to. Much would depend on when the interview was done; my guess is it was done sometime after Frankau had gone public in the ipo of 1899, and Blumfeld's two sons were active partners in the business. In any case I don't see how BBB could stand for either three sons, or two sons and a father, when it first went into use at a time when only one son was living.
Very interesting question!
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.