PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
This is my favorite pipe, it is a great smoker, give me a cool and dry smokes without any trouble when I puff it. I really want to know the story about this pipe, the nomenclature is BB&s Bailey's Old Wagner D3. Can anyone help me to date this pipe?
Sorry for the pic, i dont have any better quality.....
10649540_749856565050921_6659422736772775992_n.jpg

20140605_113421_zpsbc139443.jpg

20140605_113404_zpsbd9d20c2.jpg

20140605_113457_zps5ef77bcc.jpg

May 31, 2012
Does it say Made in England?
Some of the BB&S pipes were made in Denmark later on.
Also, the post title says Wagner Old Baileys, but the inner text says Bailey's Old Wagner,

which is it?
Maybe Wagner was a tobacconist?
Maybe it was named after the old courthouse?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bailey
Hard to say really, especially without seeing a clear nomenclature shot, but I'd guess late 60's to mid 70's?
:?:

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
thank you for the link misterlowercase, the 1st nomenclature is wagner's old bailey in the bottom of the bowl, and then BB&S LTD London Made England at the middle of the bottom of the shank and the last is D3 at the edge of the bottom of the shank near the stem.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think it is most likely a private label pipe (Wagner's) with a great line name (Old Baily) made by B.Barling & Sons. Late 1960's-70, best guess.

May 31, 2012
-edit-

Dave beat me to it!

:D

...and I concur with his opinion.
Cool, that's good it was made in England!
I'd suspect that maybe it is a "private label" pipe made by BB&S for a tobacconist (Wagner?),

but it could also be an obscure BB&S line that I'm unfamiliar with.
The D prefix in front of the shape number makes me think the latter though, perhaps the D is an internal code meaning it was a private label pipe? Other makers used similar codes to make the distinction.
In many ways, I really find these old British tobacconist pipes to hold great interest as unique objects, usually they're a bit more scarce and harder to find, and more often than not they were made by some of the best British pipe makers...

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
There can be some nice finds in private label pipes. Your post reminded me of a pipe I bought a few weeks ago, marked WARNER RUSTIC MADE IN ENGLAND and 13. The shape of the pipe, a small Dublin, and the shape number I knew well as the Sasieni Haselmere shape, although the pipe is sandblasted not rusticated, so, basically a private label Sasieni Windsor. It is being smoked right now!

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
Wow that is great, im happy to hear that, i bought this BB&S pipe only for 35us$ include shipping in to my place at Indonesia here.

May i see the picture of your pipe dmctk? :D

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm being a little lazy, pipe can be seen here,
http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showthread.php?6282-Wagner-Rustic-a-Private-Label-Sasieni&highlight=wagner

May 31, 2012
Awesome score Dave!
You have the keenest of eagle eyes!

:clap:
British private label blasts with oddball names are amongst my favorites!

:puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've only recently become exposed to pipes labeled as London Reject. They're stamped that way! Kind of a put off.

May 31, 2012
I've only recently become exposed to pipes labeled as London Reject. They're stamped that way! Kind of a put off.
Yeah, when I saw those for the first time I was put off too, why did they choose such a lousy word?!?!? LOL

At least they were direct and honest LOL
This thread delves a little bit into that territory...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/english-vs-american-pipe-smoking-history
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.