PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnclee1

Lurker
Jul 6, 2017
Hello. Hope all are well. For you Dunhill tobacco aficionados out there, I have 2 easy Dunhill-related questions, please. Between Dunhill's Aperitif and London Mixture, which one is more Latakia-forward, or has more Latakia in it if you've noticed? I love Latakia and have fallen head-over-heels for the Aperitif. Just curious as to how they compare... Also, is the London Mixture as smooth, mild & as mellow as The Aperitif? There is a sale at Pipes and Cigars for only $7.50 per tin as an end of Summer sale!! Thanks and Best, LeRoy

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I have not tried Apertif, but London Mixture is almost always my first bowl of the morning. I don't find it "Latakia-forward" at all. If anything is forward, it is spicy Orientals, but to my palate, it is very well balanced.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
oldmojo, that's my reading of London Mixture too. No Lat bomb. Nicely balanced. Haven't tried Aperfif either.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have tried Aperitif. It is trad! As the kids-these-days might say.

I would say... you need to know this stuff.

It is not a bomb, but a classic English: well-blended, all-day, in your office, or out to lunch, in London, or Dublin, in tweed, smoke.

So, no licorice, or liquored-up hints, or mushrooms, or cherries, or VAPer, or Burley, or high nic (happy) horseshit.

===

And discussed here at length, by the likes of some guy going by "misterlowercase" and others:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/dunhills-the-aperitif-a-bit-of-history

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I love both a lot. To me they seem the same for latakia. Both are oriental forward English mixes, but The Aperitif has cavendish added. Basically, The Aperitif is London Mixture with cavendish. Both very smooth, and they same equal in Latakia. To me the heaviest Dunhill is 965, which happens to be my favorite pipe tobacco.
London Mixture:

Latikia

orientals

Virginia

orientals forward
The Aperitif:

Latikia

orientals

Virginia

cavendish

orientals forward
965: