PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I believe it was January, when I first started posting on the forums here, and I've met (online anyway) some wonderful people with a common love for all things pipe and tobacco. I was a wet behind the ears newbie (still am) without a clue as to what I was doing. The folks here really helped me to learn what kind of pipes were worth buying, what kinds of tobacco were worth trying, and how to pack my pipe and smoke it without getting so frustrated I'd be crying! I've still a lot to learn, however, and I know that I'll learn at least a fraction of that by the time I reach 2000 posts. It seems there's always something new, always something I never would have thought about. And I'm glad I can come here and not be afraid to ask a question. It seems no matter how dumb the question might sound to the person asking, the members here always answer it as a legit question, and always answer in a respectable way. There's a comradery on the Pipes Magazine forums you don't find just anywhere. I've visited quite a few forums in the past and was a moderator and later an administrator on one of those. I know a good forum when I see one. And this one is at the top of the class for sure. That is thanks to Kevin and his staff, and the members who post here. I've seen love of fellow man on this forum (consider that a figure of speech, ladies. You are definitely included in this too) that seems to be lacking in today's world. Someone posted a story of the painter Norman Rockwell the other day. To make it short, his studio burned down and he lost everything, including his pipes. Of course in true piper fashion, it seems he was more distraught over losing his pipes than he was in losing the tools of his livelihood. While sifting through the ashes, some of the men from town showed up to present him with new pipes. You would think in this age we now live in that kind of comradery, that kind of respect for fellow man has died away. But that spirit still lives on as strong as ever on these forums. I've seen the charity of members when another broke his cane. I've seen the caring of members when someone was ill or had a death in the family or asked for prayer for a friend. I myself have been the recipient of some samples of tobacco, and I was sent a couple loaner pipes to even out my seven day rotation. I have a friend, not even a member of this forum, and a member here sent him pipes and tobacco! Really? In this day and age? It's unheard of! But it's very very true.
I could probably write for an hour or more, and still wouldn't be able to put down everything that makes this forum great. So I won't ramble on anymore. I will close with this... I am damn proud to be a member of Pipes Magazine Forums, and damn proud to have been able to communicate with my fellow pipers here. And I look forward to seeing all of your posts as I chug on toward another 1000 posts.
From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you for being here and for just being the kind of people you are.
Anthony Rosenthal

Aug 1, 2012
I appreciate your posts and thoughts. Keep 'em coming and we'll do this again when you hit the next thousand posts.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks guys :) I plan on sticking around for a good while. lol Tarak... the next 400 posts for you will likely fly right by. You'll hit 1000 soon enough I'm sure.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Kashmir :) I think I can pull off 10,000 more in no time lol. Yep, petes, you're pretty close to 2000. I can't wait to see you hit that mark. :)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Thanks Anthony! The sad thing is that all of us on this thread combined do not even come close to the "Post Master General" Roth! I think he's closing in on 15K!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Congrats! It's easy to stick around here just to read the things people like to post, whether it's weighing in on preferrences or just showing off a new pipe it's a fun group. I only hope I can get better at putting some more original content on the site, but I'm not super comfortable offering reviews and the like yet. I'm fairly close to a thousand myself. Here's to the next thousand.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Delighted you've reached 1000. I think I'm a bit short of that, and I still think of myself as a newbie. Here's to your next 1000 insightful comments!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
petes03 said

" ... all of us on this thread combined do not even come close to the "Post Master General" Roth."
32 posts per day is all it takes ... that's only 1.3 posts per hour ... of course, if you take any time away from the 'puter to eat, sleep or perform other functions, that post-per-hour ration will need to be a bit greater ... so, take 8 hours each day for other things and it's going to take a post every 30 minutes ...
Which I find astonishing ... I mean, really ... I'm a true son of the auld sod and a famous blabbermouth among those who know me and I'm averaging somewhere around 1.5 posts per day ... doing that every hour is unimaginable ...
My hat's off to roth ... he's not only a prolific poster, he offers us a lot of quality as well ...

Jan 8, 2013
I thought this topic was dead in the water, and I was surprised by more congratulations. Thanks guys :) I'm looking forward to my next 1000. Sparrowhawk, you'll hit 1000 in no time :) Pete... I'm hoping I get the official pipes magazine beanie. I think it's one of those that has the propeller on the top :)
Indeed, Steve. Roth, aside from his insanely high post count, offers quite a bit to the forums in my opinion. I'm looking forward to his next 14,000 posts.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Glad to have you around Anthony. It is neat to have newbie smokers as myself going through this journey with me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.