PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

You don't get much for a fiver these days; less than a pint of Guinness, 1/4 tin of tobacco,a couple of Bic lighters, maybe, possibly 2 packets of pipe cleaners if you shop around.
You can though, if you're extremely lucky, do the sacred dance of Fleabay, and hold your breath long enough, pick up a battered old Bulldog. Admittedly, it is fairly mucky, but it does have an amber stem, albeit snapped in two.
CMBull3.jpg

CMBull2.jpg

A quick ream with the Opinel; a scrub with a soapy sponge; a lot of booze soaked pipe cleaners (at least a fivers worth); some wax; and a small dollop of superglue; et voila:
image14-e1435425173702.jpg

image15-e1435425078865.jpg

Until I have the sovereigns to get a proper replacement stem cut, this will serve me well - in fact I'm so happy with it I may just keep it as is - I think it gives it character, and tells a story - its part of the artifacts history.
So, a Bulldog, made in 1897, with a PERFECT bowl, and a repaired amber stem, for a fiver - in my world it just does not get much better than this. The pictures don't show it, but the grain is quite beautiful - and not a single flaw.
The moral? Well, there isn't one. But, if you see an old pipe with a damaged stem, give it a shot, especially if it goes for pennies - even if it needs a replacement stem, it could still be worth it.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
That's a good looking pipe. I've had a few with broken amber stems. And they just keep breaking again. Of course that's because I insist on smoking them. A small piece of shrink wrap will keep it together. But of course it does nothing for the look of the pipe.

I have enough old pipes now that I stay away from broken amber stems.
More pipes for you! :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you can put a joint inside that allows for a more stable repair. A delron insert?

Certainly does have character. I love it.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
klause, That's a handsome piece. A good repairman can do what SS suggested and save that lovely amber stem. I'd give that a shot before having a replacement made. You do have a knack for finding nice estate pipes. I'm always quite impressed with your finds.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
klause:
I assume that the CM stands for Charles Maas & Company? If so, then this is only the third of their pipes which I have seen, the other two being a cased "traveling set" comprised of a silver-mounted bulldog and billiard, and featured in an image in Richard Carleton Hacker's book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Smoking." The bulldogs are similar, but I prefer the lines on yours.
How does it smoke? I am interested to hear a report.
In the interim, thank-you for saving this one from the scrap heap of history!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good eye hunter!
From a silver forum:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37041&start=20
Maas-1882.jpg

C. Maas & Co. - London - 1882
The business of Charles Maas, sometime in partnership with Marcus Maas.
The company is likely to be identified with that of Maas Brothers, (Leopold Maas, Sigismund Maas and Bernard Maas) of Wood Street Square, City, London and Heumuhlgasse, Vienna, who dissolved their partnership on the 31st January 1888, who were pipe importers and manufacturers.
C. Maas & Co. were converted into a limited liability company styled C. Maas & Co.Ltd. in c.1915
Charles Maas & Co. entered their marks 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, and 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval beneath a crown. These marks were entered a total of 22 times with the London Assay Office between the years 1883 and 1914. A further set of marks noted was 'CM' above 'MM' incuse and without outline, denoting the partnership of Charles Maas and Marcus Maas, that was registered with the LAO on the 24th September 1890.
The firms marks containing the crown were cancelled at the request of the Sheffield Assay Office on the 28th February 1896.
Charles Maas & Co. also entered their marks 'CM' incuse and without outline, 'CM' incuse and contained within an oval, with the Chester Assay Office.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
An amazing catch for 5$. Sometime you can get lucky with just a polish and ream and your set to go. Although, there are times when you spend more than the price of the pipe itself ust to buy replacement parts as you mentioned. Either way, i'm sure you'll find something and it'll end up as a great smoke! Good catch!

K

klause

Gentlemen,
thanks for all the comments.
Al, I appreciate the info - that's absolutely cracker, and, as usual, adds awhile new dimension to the pipe - thank you.
Hunter, nice catch, I'd actually hadn't researched the pipe yet, because I was to busy cleaning it up and just looking at it. I had no idea it was fairly rare - not to brag, but, I have a cased pair of CM pipes - a meer and a bulldog - they are in perfect condition - a lucky find on my part. Keep looking - the little gems are out there, just waiting for you - good luck with the search.
Incidentally, at some point this pipe will be going to Ian Walker to get a band on the stem. In the meantime, as I'm not a clencher, I reckon I'll be safe to work away with it, without too many incidents ;-)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's the banded Amber stem repair I mentioned earlier. On a 1904 Peterson Patent pipe.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETERSON-PATENT-BRIAR-SILVER-PIPE-AMBER-STEM-IN-CASE-K-P-EDWARDIAN-ANTIQUE-1904-/231603139603?
$_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.