PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
For those interested in the subject of Bob Kane's neglectful credit of co-Batman creator Bill Finger - who, to many of us, really is the major creator of Batman - you may find this article by my friend Mark Evanier worth your time: http://www.newsfromme.com/2014/06/28/real-dynamic-duo-kane-finger/
A great many people in the comic book business believe it's past time to give Bill Finger the co-creation credits he deserves for his contributions to Batman. Finger helped design the Batman costume as much as Kane did, created the Bruce Wayne identity, Batman's origin, the Batmobile, Batsignal, Batcave, Commissioner Gordon, named Gotham City, Batman's utility belt and all the weapons it holds. He co-created Robin, the Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, among many other villains and wrote most of the stories in the early years. The very first Batman story, "The Case of the Chemical Syndicate", is lifted from The Shadow story "Partners in Peril" from Nov. 1, 1936.
Finger died a pauper in 1974, never credited for a single Batman story in his life time, thanks largely to Bob Kane. Hopefully, one day, something more substantial will be done to finally give Bill Finger a co-creation on Batman.

Dec 24, 2012
Great post Jim. I personally don't imagine that anything will ever be done in terms of giving Finger co-creator credit. If DC ever did this they would be leaving themselves wide open for a lawsuit from the Finger family asking for past royalties and would also be leaving themselves open for a lawsuit from the Kane estate since DC's agreement with Kane was that he was to be recognized as the sole-creator. The dollars could be massive. I guess it is conceivable that if Bob Kane's heirs allow it, and if the Finger heirs agree to wave any claim for past royalties, then DC might go for that, but that seems highly unlikely for the reasons that you might guess.
Now, writing credit is a different matter and I believe DC has started giving Finger writing credit recently.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Peck, I figure you are right about the creation credit, but it never hurts to get the word out. DC has given Finger writing credit for years now, but not co-creation credit. A few years ago, I wrote a book introduction to a DC Archive book and stated that Finger and Kane created Batman, hoping it would sneak through editorial. I was pleased to see that it did.
Btw, Finger also helped create the original Green Lantern. He took artist Martin Nodell's idea and wrote the origin story, plus a fair number of the stories in the first year.

Dec 24, 2012
We should also acknowledge that this was a completely different era, where work-for-hire arrangements ruled and the big comics companies owned the characters and the actual creators usually got very little. Finger is no different in that respect. Kirby, Simon, Ditko and a host of others also got shafted (though one might argue that they contractually agreed to get shafted). The reason the Finger issue gets so much press is because Bob Kane didn't get shafted. The reason he didn't get shafted is that he lied - he maintained that he signed the contract giving DC ownership of the Batman character when he was a minor and therefore didn't have the capacity to enter into the contract (and therefore he still had creator rights). Kane was lying through his teeth, but DC was in the midst of negotiating a merger or something along those lines with another company and just wanted the lawsuit resolved so they struck the deal with Kane to give him creator credit and royalties. I am sure Jim knows much more about this than I do and I may even have some of the facts wrong but that is what I very vaguely recall reading.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Peck, you have it all right. However, Kane still had some power regarding Batman until the end of his life. If you'll remember the Bob Newhart show "Bob" where he played a cartoonist, there was an episode where Jack Kirby, Mell Lazarus, Sergio Aragones, and Bob Kane briefly appear. DC would not give permission to use an image of Batman when Kane appeared on screen. Kane was asked, "Do you have any other characters we can use," and they explained the problem. Kane went to a telephone, called DC, and a few minutes later, told the producer, "We have permission now." This was about 1991 or '92.
In 1968, Joe Simon had secured the rights to the first ten issues of Captain America when the copyright came up for renewal. Marvel pulled a fast one on Kirby, including telling him that Joe Simon now owned Cap, and that Joe claimed Kirby had nothing to do with the character's creation. For very little money that it took years to get, Kirby signed contracts to help Marvel's position, thus screwing both himself and Joe. Jack was a dear friend and one of my heroes, but he just never understood business or protecting himself.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was just talking with a friend and was reminded of the time I publicly asked Bob Kane when Bill Finger was going to get a co-creator credit on Batman. Kane shot me a very angry look, and realizing he was being watched, quickly smiled and said, "After the [San Diego] convention, I'll look into that." Well, Bob, I'm still waiting!!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
You nerds!
J/k, I'm a comic book guy myself. Yeah, I was under the impression they began giving Finger some credit recently, but not full credit as @Peck pointed out, DC would be on the hook for TONS of money to his estate. The olden days of comics was the wild west with artists and writers bouncing wherever the work was and so many people being involved in the process of just one character, let alone all the stories.
I'm more of a Marvel guy myself, though Batman is my favorite all-around superhero. I'm more into graphic novels nowadays though ... well for the last 8 years or so.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
CmdrMcBragg: What Finger is not getting is co-creator credit. That's the problem. Story credit is fine, but not enough. Finger was every bit the creator of Batman that Kane was, and in the opinion of many, myself included, more so than Kane. Peck points out the likely difficulties all too well, but the sounds of discontent are getting louder on this subject, and some of us hope maybe DC will do something as they did in the 1970s when they finally gave in and recognized Siegel and Shuster as the creators of Superman.
I never knew one single instance from anybody I ever knew or interviewed who ever said one good word about Kane. His peers, ghost artists, and editors in the business all disliked him. That's telling. Btw, if you want to read the most self indulgent tombstone legend ever devised by man, read this garbage at Kane's grave.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11708

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@jiminks, I wasn't debating with you at all, brother. It is BS and should be rectified, but that may never happen. The precedent with Supes says it may happen, but Batman has become a more lucrative property than Superman. It is pretty telling about Kane that he took full credit for so damn long and only acknowledged Finger after his death. Real convenient. Yeah, that tombstone is pure BS.
+1rsuninv

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, sometimes the people we admire turn out to be dicks (though I had no admiration for Kane), pure and simple. Jim, I was always a big fan of Robert Kanigher but I have heard a bunch of bad things about him as well.
I guess sometimes you just have to separate the person from his or her accomplishments. I love the music of Sinatra and Bing Crosby, but the weight of public opinion seems to indicate that both those fellows were dicks. At least I still have Dean Martin (who my mother named me after) and I have generally heard pretty good things about him in terms of him being a very decent fellow. A relative of mine (now passed, sadly) also worked in the movie industry in California as a lighting technician for over 40 years. He worked on over 20 John Wayne films and had nothing but good things to say about the Duke.

Dec 24, 2012
I am not defending Kane, but put yourself in his shoes. Bill Finger was hired on a pure work-for-hire basis where he relinquished any right to ownership over anything he created regarding Batman. Kane himself would have been in the same boat, but for the shenanigans he pulled in getting DC to settle with him. The character starts raking in the dosh and Kane is getting paid reasonably well (not huge doe, I am sure). Is he all of a sudden going to say "Give Finger half of what you are paying me". We all like to think we would do that if we were in his shoes, but it would take some real courage to give away half your ongoing pay checks for the rest of your life. Not defending the man, but I am trying my best to understand him.

Dec 24, 2012
Interestingly, I also read recently that Marvel is paying Len Wein for Wolverine, though I don't think they have to (I may be mistaken, but I believe he was on a work-for-hire contract when he created the character). However,I heard that Marvel isn't paying a cent to Chris Claremont or Frank Miller, notwithstanding that they really filled in the aspects of the character that we know today as Wolverine. I could see someone arguing that this is no different than what happened to Finger. Kane created the concept, and Finger filled it in, although much like Wolverine, what Finger "filled in" is what truly made the character a successful property. I am not saying it is the same thing, but I can see the argument.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
CmdrMcBragg: I know you weren't debating with me, buddy. I didn't mean to sound otherwise. It's just been a sore subject with me for a long time and seeing that Bob Kane is going to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame while Finger remains forgotten just gets under the skin of my sense of right and wrong.
Peck: Bob Kanigher was not often a nice man. My encounter with him was an exercise of patience as he spent the entire time telling me how great he was. I've published quite a number of stories about him over the years. I still like his work, but not him so much. I knew a guy who was as gentle as could be, and one day, after months of abuse, picked Kanigher off the ground and threatened to throw him out a window unless he apologized. Another guy chased Kanigher around the office with his own foil after an argument.
The late DC editor George Kashdan told me a lot about his time at DC and the people who worked and freelanced there. You might find it worth your time because George spared no punches. Our interview was serialized in Alter Ego #93-96. If you've never read AE, you can get back issues, in print and digital form, from www.twomorrows.com . I did an entire issue with Joe Simon on his career, and most of one with Jerry Robinson, who co-created the Joker and was one of Kane's first assistants. Jerry was fairly even handed on the subject of Kane. Kashdan had a few things to say about Kane and Finger, too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Peck: Finger was originally working for Kane. DC had no idea about it for some time. I don't know when they learned the truth. Probably when Finger got behind in writing and the editor called in Gardner Fox to write a couple of stories. At any rate, in the early days, Finger was paid by Kane - no contract - and didn't work directly for DC until he got into a fight with Kane over a raise and started working directly for DC in 1941.

Dec 24, 2012
Interestingly, I also read awhile back that you have to pay a fee to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Apparently, Clint Eastwood refused to pay and refused to allow the studio to pay for him, which is why he doesn't have a star. I wonder who is picking up the tab for Bob Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.