PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/12/tobacco-shares-us-bat-imperial-brands-fda-menthol-ban
Yes, these are cigarette brands they are talking about, but there are strong implications for pipe tobacco as well. I think the pipe tobacco market is too small to get much attention. They seem to be really focused on flavoured tobacco, which if the oft repeated quote of 90%+ pipe tobacco being aromatic is true, it seems to follow that pipe tobacco is also going to get a major gut punch.
I don't see this momentum going away for any reason.
The ever increasing advice to stock up on your favoured brands is becoming more sound by the year. I think it is entirely realistic that many pipe tobaccos (perhaps nearly all -if aromatics are outlawed) are going to disappear much quicker than a lot of people realize.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Duke is an eminent university in my area, given a major endowment by the Duke family philanthropy, which family fortune was made in tobacco. Though I'm sure there have been other noble organizations, this is the one instance that I know of where tobacco money has had a major impact for the good. In recent times profits have paid off shareholders and provided the largesse for the depraved top officers to buy another Learjet. So I feel very badly for BAT and such others.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Are all flavors going away or just the fruit ones and names that appeal to kids?
So, instead of cherry blend, it could be renamed "Old sweat socks".
Instead of Menthol, it could be called just "Meth".
And, no more Tutti Frutti; it'll be "Jock strap".

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
FDA wants to completely ban menthol , gotta save the children. Vape flavors to be very limited, eventually a ban on all flavorings, additionally distribution channels to be limited by mandate.
Juul is the problem. A nifty little start up that grabbed 75% market share of the vape market. Two Stanford guys started the company, which is now worth $15 billion, or was until the fda raided their offices. The big boys are mad, watch out. Hopefully pipe tobacco flavors are ignored, since only a bunch of old people and oddballs smoke a pipe, no mention of pipes in most recent FDA announcements.
I think it’s funny how a disruptive technology like juul can flip an entire industry, existing regulation,and taxation schemes on its head .

Status
Not open for further replies.