PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
A while back JimInks posted about a Bing he had made by Basil Meadows of Red Dog Pipes and I just fell in love with it (Link to Jim's Post As a long time Peterson's nut, I really never thought about commissioning a pipe, but I just had to have one.
I contacted Basil and he graciously agreed to do one for me. I met with Basil a few days back to pick up the finished pipe and all I can say is wow! Even on the first bowl she smoked cool and dry - this is going to mature into a great pipe. Super comfortable, light and just a pleasure to smoke.
Basil is a great guy and does awesome work - check out his work at reddogpipes.com

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
That's one great looking pipe! But I don't get it, it looks like the Millville "M" there, on the shank. Am I reading wrong? Or is there more to this story? :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Glad you got a Bing, Rblood. I love mine, and it's become one of my favorite pipes, not just for the shape and design, but because it's a great smoker. I can see why Bing favored this style: cool smoke, light clencher, the bowl is out of the line of sight of the smoker, and Bing could speak his lines clearly while smoking it.
Basil's prices are very reasonable, too. And we have TRHunter to thank for providing the specs for the Merchant Service pipes that Bing smoked, so that Basil could be accurate in replicating it.

basil

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
Thank you both for the kind words. It is always special when I can actually meet you and hand you the pipe personally! It was a pleasure getting to meet Rblood and wish we had a little more time for a cup of coffee and a smoke. Hopefully next time.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What do you think of this one? It's a Mark Tinsky. A tad longer than the authentic merchant services at 7.5" but otherwise seems the proportions match up fairly well.
LINK

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Couldn't activate link until a re-load of page- did you edit some a few minutes ago?
Anyhow, nice looking!
I got my Basil Meadows' Bing sent to me while on vacation, and it's a fine smoker. And looker!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I edited it with a link to the online pic of it. I tried uploading a screen shot to my album but all that appeared in the post was a little box with some symbol in it. I don't have a flickr or photobucket and no desire for one. All the other forums I'm on you can upload an image from your hard drive and it will display in your post.
I also tried accessing reddogpipes.com and it just kept loading. Maybe the servers are busy, Idk. Is it bad forum etiquette to ask how much you guys paid for the Meadows Bing? I bought the one linked to, just wondering how it compares, Mr. Meadows and Mr. Tinsky both being independent American pipe artisans.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Oops too late to edit...nevermind I got onto reddogpipes.com and saw the price. Idk how much this Tinsky was new, but being an estate it wasn't that much less than the Meadows. I may just have to get one of those too ;)
The length of the Meadows is exactly the same 7.5" so I think the rest of the proportions are about equal also. Aside from the stain, the other difference appears to be the Meadows has a Cumberland-esque stem.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Basil does make an outstanding pipe. That is a great looking Bing also. Very good smokers, and really light.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
The length of the Meadows is exactly the same 7.5" so I think the rest of the proportions are about equal also.
Not to knock Tinsky, but the styling of Basil's Bing is better. There is something off with that stem on the Tinsky.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: that particular Bing with the cumberland stem is Basil's "Modern" Bing. Basil also makes an exact copy of the Merchant Service Pipe with an ebonite stem that's $175. Scroll down the page and you'll see it. That's just like the one I have. A great looker and smoker, and one of my favorite pipes. I got the first one he made.
http://www.reddogpipes.com/pipes-for-sale.html

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I showed my Bing to my local tobacconist who told me that the first Bings were Dunhill or another primo make, and so many people importuned him for a pipe that he got the Merchant Service pipes going.
I simply cannot imagine asking a celebrity to give me his pipe! I don't even ask for autographs, but I've seen people interrupt others to demand same.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Shutterbug: that particular Bing with the cumberland stem is Basil's "Modern" Bing. Basil also makes an exact copy of the Merchant Service Pipe with an ebonite stem that's $175. Scroll down the page and you'll see it. That's just like the one I have. A great looker and smoker, and one of my favorite pipes. I got the first one he made.
Not to knock Tinsky, but the styling of Basil's Bing is better. There is something off with that stem on the Tinsky.
It appears the Tinsky is the same length as Basil's "Modern Bing" (7.5") and has the longer metal band, which probably accounts for it looking off. And perhaps the shank and stem are a bit thicker in diameter, Idk, don't have it in my hands yet. Honestly the "modern Bing" looks a bit "off" to me, it's really skinny for its length (but I suppose that's what makes it comfortable to clench given the leverage the length imposes).
I actually didn't buy the Trinsky as a Bing clone, I bought it because I have a no-name French long, slim billiard and due to its length it is a cool-smoking pipe (had a churchwarden back in the day but they're over the top for me) and always wanted to own a Tinsky. But like I said I may go for Basil's standard/classic Bing version too. As high-quality pipes go it's not obnoxiously expensive. And I like the styling very much. I'm a big fan of the prince shape also.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbugg: Yes, the "Modern" Bing is as you say. I have it in mind to get a "Modern" Bing at some point, but I prefer the craft specifics of the Merchant Service replica he made me, and my "Modern" will match that. Looks like we mostly have the same taste here.

Status
Not open for further replies.