PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hi Folks, as far we are talking about aromatics, some of you more experienced smokers out there may wanna tell me how they do feel about these follow european OTC blends, should we consider them being as aromatics or semi-aromatics,?So here you are the blends under the question: Mc Barens Scottish Mixture, Mc Barens Symphony, and finally Amphora Original/regular, as far as I'm aware,these tobacos have no toppings in them. Thanks for your thoughts,as always they come much appreciated,Paul

There is a split reality among us. There is the reality that we hate aromatics, except these few that we don't want to give the pathetic label of ... "aromatics" to. We tend to think of aromatics as goopy, crappy tobacco with aromas fit for girls and little kids. Lowly subhuman ground dwelling fruit sniffers... oh well you get the idea.
And, the other reality is that in the industry anything with a flavored topping is considered an aromatic, even if you can barely taste the topping or if the topping is just rum or honey. Like Royal Yacht, or lakelands, or even University Flake.
The first reality is the one that we make up for ourselves. The second is the actual definition used by pipe tobacco manufacturers.

But, don't worry, we wont label you as a lowly subhuman girly fruit sniffers for liking just any old aromatic.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Fact is that each of those three blends is topped, not just cased at processing. They are no doubt aromatics.

May 4, 2015
Are we saying that anything that's topped is aromatic? Surely not.
Or just topped with an intended obvious flavor?
I know. Can of worms.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
According to P&C this is how they are defined, strangely Symphony is classified as both?
Scottish Mixture, Aro

Symphony, Aro - Non Aro

Amphora Original, Non Aro

Amphora Full, Aro
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/search/?q=mac+baren&p=3

A tobacco can be cased, which happens early on in the processing. Most casings can be undetectable, but some can be stronger than an aromatic, as in PS LTF. But these are still considered non-aromatics.
All it takes is a drop of a topping, which is added right before tinning or whatever packaging, and the blend is considered an aromatic. University Flake is a good example of an aromatic that people can't really detect the topping, but it's there, thus it's an aromatic.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Pagan: yeah, that is strange regarding Symphony.
In general, most blends have a topping of some kind, but that doesn't make a blend an aromatic. But, Amphora Original has a chocolate/cocoa topping, and I always considered it at the very least, a semi-aromatic. I'm not sure about the topping in Symphony, but I'd certainly say it was an aromatic.

May 4, 2015
All it takes is a drop of a topping, which is added right before tinning or whatever packaging, and the blend is considered an aromatic.
Ok - we'll agree to disagree on this point. Methinks a LOT of tobaccos have a topping that wouldn't be considered an aromatic no way, no how. Unless you're just saying the "industry" considers anything with a topping an aromatic. Which seems even less sensible.
Regardless, I've never found the distinction useful.

May 4, 2015
There is a difference between a topping and a casing
Surely, but they can serve the same purpose occasionally, no? Unless I completely misunderstand the process. Could a topping not be added at the end of processing to attempt to maintain uniformity between vintages, or is that always a function of casing?
Edit: Again, I personally feel all of this is semantics and only useful in that it's interesting from an industry perspective and an interesting thought experiment. I don't think it matters a lick either way.

Russ's old blog on P&C is gone, so I am having to use the wayback.

But, usually casing is the process by which companies balance out the flavors to keep it consistent or just add a touch of sweetness. These can still be considered non-aromatics. This includes cavendishes as well. It is a little more involved than just spraying a topping on.

May 4, 2015
So someone like Sam Gawith, whose blends are sopping wet - are those all toppings before tinning and by extension all SG blends are aromatics?
Or is all that moisture "casing"?

May 4, 2015
What I remember from Russ, perhaps incorrectly, is that everything is cased and topped to some degree. Any blend that claims not to be cased or topped is probably misrepresenting themselves to some degree.

He isn't as cut and dry in this one, but... http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/
and, http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/a-tale-of-two-syrups-casings-and-top-dressings/

and, this one is little more thorough. http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/what-is-cavendish/
It boils down to casings are applied early in the process, usually to adjust, compliment, or accentuate a tobacco favor. These can be light or even heavy as in LTF.
But, a topping is applied later on in the process, and can be used to compliment the tobacco flavor as in University Flake or Royal Yacht, or it can be to just smother the tobacco in flavor. But, the key is that it is added later in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.