PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I' d like to post some recent pre-trans Barlings additions. Any help on how to do this?
Richard

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks Dot. Here are some more pictures. The cased set is also stamped NS. The third pipe has a "Freak" stamp. Owners name or pipe shop? A mystery.
]null[/url] ]null[/url] ]null

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice pipes, the cased set looks like older pipes, 1940's? What is the date hallmark on the sterling band?
Dave

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
good score. I am interested to hear peoples ideas on the freak stamp.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Dave, I'll have a better picture and date on the Hallmark shortly. Opinion right now is 1940-1950.
Richard

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks Lucky. The Freak is an octagon shape. Again, I'll have more pictures shortly.
Richard

May 31, 2012
Absolutely tremndous and wonderful old Barlings!
My new Grail search = a Freak Fossil!
Thanks for sharing,

cased sets always stimulate my gogo juices!

:puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm very curious about the "freak" stamp. I've not seen or hear of it before, nor seen any listing for it in any of the Barling line listings in Tobacco World or Tobacco - the English tobacco trade journals. Would love to know the date stamp and see a wider view of this very interesting pipe. Usually a tobacconist's stamp includes the city wherein it is located. But somehow I doubt that anyone would have named their business "FREAK" prior to the swinging '60's. It is possible that the shop added the stamp, I have seen a few examples of that, but it's certainly just an odd stamp.

The companion set is very nice. Condition looks excellent. I'm still on the hunt for one more for my collection.

May 31, 2012
Z9axbZU.jpg

There was a Rawling & Freak in Australia, but otherwise I've found absolutely zilch.
Perhaps the Q indicates something?
Like a name or slang for a certain location or area in England or somewhere?
Sounds plausible,

"...there are a lot of shops in the Q, you can find anything."
Or something.
I dunno.
FREAK

Q​
I think the stamp is very very cool.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for all the comments. Should have more pics up tomorrow. I like the Rawling and Freak storefront. Might be a possibility.
Richard

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Beautiful grain on those pipes. Congrats on the find! Very inspiring too. I'll have to snoop around in some local antique shops and see what I can find.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I can't put my finger on it now, but I think "freak" isn't a tobacconist. I have a dim recollection it's a rarely used stamp signifying something unusual about the pipe itself. Could you post a few pics showing the entire pipe?

May 31, 2012
Maybe the Q stands for Queensland?
Good possibility, it's commonly abbreviated as QLD, the 150th anni was known as Q150, so it's not unheard of.

Although, that shop in the pic is from down south in Adelaide, but it does suggest that the surname Freak may have been in use, perhaps another member of the Freak family had a shop up on the Gold Coast?

:) :?:
I can't put my finger on it now, but I think "freak" isn't a tobacconist. I have a dim recollection it's a rarely used stamp signifying something unusual about the pipe itself.
This is very very very interesting indeed.
Perhaps FREAK was a designation similar to SPECIMEN?

Q for quality?

:?:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Although, that shop in the pic is from down south in Adelaide, but it does suggest that the surname Freak may have been in use, perhaps another member of the Freak family had a shop up on the Gold Coast?
Well, so much for that thought. Jon's point is very interesting. I'd like to see this pipe as well.
Here's another question. Has anyone seen, or does anyone have, a Barling Nibblick? It's listed in their product line during the 1930's and neither I, nor anyone I've spoken with, has ever actually seen one.

May 31, 2012
...Has anyone seen, or does anyone have, a Barling Nibblick?
...all I could find, from the old Pipes Digest:

Hello,

Does anyone have any info on a "Niblick Barling's Make 1184" (sandblasted)?

I recently bought it Pre-smoked for 15$ in Italy.

It has a great long stem and really looks like something out of

the thirties or fifties. And it smokes perfectly.
Interesting that it was blasted.
Lotsa hits about obsolete golf clubs,

perhaps it looked like one, as the PD collector said his was long-stemmed???
i7ZRyUP.jpg

IgSBOdd.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Bumping this old thread, as I happened upon it while trying to find some info on the following pipe:

Here's another question. Has anyone seen, or does anyone have, a Barling Nibblick? It's listed in their product line during the 1930's and neither I, nor anyone I've spoken with, has ever actually seen one.
I just received this in the mail today, haven't cleaned it up one bit. It came in a batch of 18 pipes, listed on ebay as a "Job Lot", from Torquay, Devon, England. There's a bunch of nice old pipes in the mix, but that will be for another thread....... :D

Anyhoo, not much info on these, this is for you Sable. Can you provide any info from the 1930's catalog?

Its a medium billiard, 36 grams, 5-5/8" long, and 3/4" bore. Shape # is 71A. I forgot to photograph the "crossed barlings" on the top of stem, so I think the stem is proper for the pipe.

3V9qqwE.jpg

wtAcbkk.jpg

YfwQy3w.jpg

PThmwDP.jpg

zGvCEse.jpg

AQuCY5F.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.