PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
This blend comes from Planta in Germany and is Described as "Full and strong in taste. Traditional English"

The contents are Cyprus and Syrian Latakia, Kentucky, broad cut Vas. Upon opening the tin there was definitely a strong aroma of Latakia and something sweetish that I could not identify, it was faintly sweet mind you and once this was lit there was absolutely nothing sweet about this blend (It was a natural scent of the blend). This was a very coarsely cut blend and there were a few stems which needed to be discarded. After gravity filling the bowl I provided a charring light and let the bowl settle for a minute. After truly lighting this mixture I blew up!! Yeah a Lat Bomb supported by the strength and some harshness of the Kentucky, which was present during the entire smoke. This was not a very complex blend, the VAs did not show themselves much but acted as more of a condiment. Aside from the strong, smoky incense flavor of the Latakia there was a bitterness, most likely from the Kentucky on this bitterness was not offset by a much needed increase in the amount of VA, IMO. This Barling offering produced a moderate amount of smoke, no plumes, but still chewy. This smoked well though and just needed a few relights in my bent Stanwell apple and then it made it to the heel with some dottle. This is a pretty stout blend in strength and mouth feel. The nicotine content was moderate to high and quite a full bodied smoke, my stomach was a little queasy at the end of the smoke, but nothing too serious and it abated within 30 minutes or so. After finishing, this left an enduring, cloying sense of the dominant Latakia and it left my mouth a little dry and tingly on my inner cheeks. This smoke was ok, not great and not really good, certainly not bad though. 2.5 stars out of 4. I really did not find this was a well balanced blend, however others may like the stout flavor which envelops you in Latakia.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Just got some of the Full and Medium, your review is very timely. I'm a little apprehensive on the full version after reading your reaction, Kentucky can and does give me an upset stomach at times although I like what it adds to a blend. I suppose I'll eat a filling meal and remain seated for my inaugural smoke.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Setter, You know I was a little scared too before taking this one on since it was early morning and I had an empty stomach. No to sound too graphic or crude but right in the middle of that 30 minutes of nausea this blend also facilitated a very productive sit-down. Didn't really buzz my head too much though. I think this would be ok for after dinner, the thing is it just didn't compare to most of the other English blends I have smoked...the Kentucky really made this unique to be sure! I hope you enjoy your experience and let us know how it worked for you.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I can tell you that I never considered myself a wuss when it comes to nicotine but there's something with Kentucky dark fired that rolls my gut. The first time I smoked a bowl of Orlik dark fired Kentucky I was driving and actually started to feel impaired a bit. Thankfully I had a fresh can of Coke in the buggy and I set the bowl down and got my mind right again. As I said I love it, it don't love me. Lol!

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Have you tried Brebbia's Balkan or Bill Bailey's Balkan from Dan Tobacco...both have Kentucky. Strong stuff.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I've smoked pounds of BBBB and I think I've had the Brebbia, not sure. I never noticed the Kentucky in Bill Bailey's. Love the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.