Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Hunter,
We don't know EXACTLY when Barling began stamping the crossed logo on their stems, but we do know that it began in the 1920's. The earliest datable example I have seen is from 1923. But there is always the possibility that the stem is a factory replacement, as Barling offered that service to their customers. I've seen other examples from later in the 1920's and graydawn's "freak" pipe has the crossed stamp and dates to 1925.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
There are a number of Barling cross logo stamps in the hands of repairmen or hobbyists that can confuse the issue further.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Most of the aftermarket logos are poorly due. Wish that they would just leave those stems alone.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Most of the aftermarket logos are poorly due. Wish that they would just leave those stems alone.
Hi Graydawn,
True, most stamps are cut too thick or the vulc is overheated during stamping but there are better stamps out there that were being used wholesale going back 30 years or more. I'd venture a guess that half of the Barlings in circulation then were re-stamped and accepted as genuine over time. It would be nice if they were left alone.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've seen many logo re-strikes on eBay. When you see a pipe and stem that have obviously been considerably buffed with a crisp white logo you can be very sure that the logo is a re-strike. I think that sellers believe that buyers won't know the difference and will pay more. The crossed stem logo is fragile and easily buffed away over time and with age and use the white turned a little yellow.
Also, the factory stamped logos were often clocked slightly counterclockwise. You almost never see one that is perfectly aligned. I think that this was done to avoid the furthermost east/west extremes from being stamped too lightly over the curved surface even though the stamp was probably curved as well.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Jesse, I always wondered why the logos were slightly rotated. Thanks for the info.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
There are a number of Barling cross logo stamps in the hands of repairmen or hobbyists that can confuse the issue further.
From my own correspondence with repairmen, the number of those stamps is dwindling. Still, when I consider an estate Barling, I prefer to see some wear and/or discoloration of the stamping. A Reg. No. or "Barling Design" on the underside is also good, and not just for the help with dating. I have not heard of repairmen having those stamps, so I figure I am getting an original stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.