PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I found this Barling 915 on SmokersHaven. I am not clear as to if this is a pre transition piece or not. All 3 digits are pre-transition from what I read. It was advertised as Made in England, but no mention on the pipe itself.
Its a beautiful pipe, lovely shape.
Any one have further knowledge of this pipes time frame?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
It is most definitely not pre-transition. The Barling script logo began to be used in 1962, with 4 digit size/shape codes. I would say the pipe is post 1970, and most likely made in Denmark, the shaping and International kind of give it away. I do see in the SH listing were it says, Origin: Made in England. Some others may have more information.
BB beat me to it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks briarblues / dmcmtk, I was hoping I did not get ripped on it. Do all "International" have "Made in Denmark"? This one has nothing. But the ad said "England". Maybe they assumed. I paid $95 for it, thinking it fair(?). Just was curious about a few things.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well, just a comment, to put it in perspective. I've seen some of these pipes from this period attributed to Nording. The Stanwell pipes at SH are only about $10 less. BB's coment about how these smoke relative to Stanwell speaks for itself.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. Forum member Jessie Silver is extremely knowledgable on Barling pipes. He was interviewed on the radio show last week. If you send him a PM he might be able to provide some additional information. I know that he updated the pipedia website on Barling pipes.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had been eyeing this pipe before the show, I cannot spring for a pre-transition pipe right now. So, I thought this one interesting with its wide shank and bit. Thanks for the additional info guys, that's what is so great about this site.

I also had the first smoke, overall a little hot as the tobacco was a bit damp. But it did not gurgle.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The "International" line is post Transition. I've also heard that Nording produced pipes for Barling but don't have any firm info regarding that. I'm hoping to do some research next year on the later post family period that will fill out the Pipedia page. The styling on this one is beautiful and it looks to be a very nice pipe.
The later Barling pipes get an undeservedly bad rap. I own pipes from all periods, going back to 1897, and all of them, except one, have been great smokers. The only bad Barling that I have is a small bent from 1921! So not all family era pipes are good and not all post family era pipes are bad.
The first Barling I ever owned was a post family era Canadian and it kicked ass! Unfortunately, I smoked that poor defenseless pipe into the ground. But, it hooked me on Barlings.
I have one of those "Presentation" pipes and it's well made and just a lovely smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.