PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2016
Hello All! I am a new member, and I'm coming back to smoking a pipe after years of abstinence. I have a pipe in my collection that I have always wondered about, it is a Barling billiard with shape number 6174. It also has TVE stamped on the shank near the stem. I've never understood the classification of older Barlings and there collectibility. Can someone help me identify my pipe and explain how it fits in the Barling regime.

Thanks

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
First of all, welcome!
I don't know about Barling, but posting a picture would be better I think, to help people identify your pipe.
Edit: I may be wrong though, people here are quite knowledgable.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Initially I would guess about 1960ish, hard to say without looking at the pipe
Does it have the crossed Barlings on the stem, or BB&S (B. Barling and Son) mark on it, I cant remember off hand if the TVE mark is from the later era. Best to look up Pipedia.org and search for British pipe makers, there is a page out there that shows in detail different makers marks through history and will help with dating.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
saddlebruss aka jesse is our resident Berling expert. He is my personal expert so if you want any answers from him, you have to go through me. The fee to speak with Jessee is one pound Esoterica Stonehaven. This is not neqotiable, so don't even try. I even had to pay the 1 pound fee to jessee so If I had to pay that means everyone has to pay.
You may approach me to make arrangements for your sit down with Jessee.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum! Pictures are a big help, and here's a way to post them in this thread:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; photo bucket, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.
As you're new, you may completely disregard any helpful posts by Harris, aka cigrmaster. :) Jesse is, however, our Barling man and is a very decent fellow to boot!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling output went through a number of changes after the family left the business, so images matter for dating as much as nomenclature. Shapes changed as did the shaping of their stems. Check out my article on Pipedia for information. It's brilliant and insightful, if I do say so myself. :D

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
Are you sure it's TVE? Or is it rather TVF ("The Very Finest"). The number probably indicates that it's an Early Transition Barling (early 1960s). I have a bent flat billiard numbered 5639, which is date tentatively at around 1962, early in the transition period. Yours is probably a little later than that. Difficult to pinpoint, but if that is a TVF, then it's another indication of the Early Transition period. Pipedia has a good page on Barlings that was updated not too long ago; I would encourage you to refer to it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are you sure it's TVE? Or is it rather TVF ("The Very Finest"). The number probably indicates that it's an Early Transition Barling (early 1960s). I have a bent flat billiard numbered 5639, which is date tentatively at around 1962, early in the transition period. Yours is probably a little later than that. Difficult to pinpoint, but if that is a TVF, then it's another indication of the Early Transition period. Pipedia has a good page on Barlings that was updated not too long ago; I would encourage you to refer to it.
Thanks, I wrote it. You're correct, it's TVF - the very finest. These model numbers came into use in 1962. If the pipe has the old block "Barling's Make" logo with the new number then the pipe dates to 1962. If the logo is the script "Barling" logo then the pipe is late 1962 or later. How much later requires pictures.
The OP seems to have lost interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.