Bari versus Barling Estate Pipe decisions and other similar..

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have a birthday coming up and I am looking at a couple of estate pipes, primarily 1 rusticated Bari and 1 sandblasted Barling. Aesthetics are great for both and both need similar cleaning with no major apparent issues. The Barling is almost double the cost. I have read as much as I can and both have fans with few detractors. The valuation seems to be arbitrary. How do you go about making a decision on which you buy or which you tell someone else to buy you for a birthday gift since they have asked? So many other makers in the $150 and below estate market seem inseparable in quality. But the asking prices are all over the place. And the description of the grain is hilarious... What is straight in one looks like flame in another, etc. French vs Italian vs English vs Algerian vs...... Help! All of the pretty ones cannot be equal. But damn if they don't all have fans.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Bit of an apples an oranges question. Just so I understand better, are you talking about a Barling, or a Barling's Make?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bewlay was a huge chain of Tobacconists in the UK, and their pipes were made by several top of the line manufacturers, including Barling, Charatan, and Loewe. In fact, Bewlay's parent company, Finlay's, eventually bought the Barling family business.
I have a couple of Bari pipes and they're well made quality smokers. Price has little relationship to quality, when it comes to estates. It really comes down to buyers' perception of desirability and the market prices that result.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I have several Bewlay pipes, all fine smokers. There is a whole thread about Bewlay here,
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-bewlay-pipe-thread-with-pictures

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Bewlay pipes offer great value, classic shapes and great quality, I have many. Olde 49 grade have hand cut stems, briar cut are very nice lightweight pipes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Bewlay also contracted pipes from Orlick, which was at one time a maker of very fine pipes. Post the pipes if you want specific advice. Most here are exceedingly decent, honorable people and there's little risk of someone sniping your pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was gifted decades ago with a new Bari (bent smooth dark stained billiard) with a good big bowl, verging toward Group 5. Just a wonderful pipe. It is not nearly as well known as Barling and doesn't have the collector following, but for smoking, you will never be unhappy with it. Many haven't heard of a Bari, a now defunct Danish brand.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have a stubby smooth Bari squashed tomato and it is a delightful pipe. One of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.