PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Anyone have experience with Baracccini pipes? I ordered one for 29 bucks off pipes and cigars. Also I bought a couple oak and acacia wood pipes off ebay. Anyone tried these woods before?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't know about oak or acacia wood pipes. I have several pipes carved out of Mountain Laurel, which happen to be a specialty of a carver in N.C., and they smoke every bit as well as briar and have a distinctive look. I saw the Baraccini pipes in PC. I think they look good, probably good smokers, not fancy but all you need.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiujits', I don't plug the Mountain Laurel pipes too much, although I like them a lot, because the carver, Jerry Perry, does not sell online. He does pipe repair and has a web site, but all of his pipe sales are done in person at the North Carolina State Fair in October and the TAPS pipe show, also on the fairgrounds, in April. I don't think he's much of an email person either, so I feel like I am leading people up a blind alley. When I asked if he sold online, he said if he did, all he'd do is take pictures and he'd rather carve the pipes. I think he's struck the right balance for him for production and sales and is happy with this arrangement. You could send him a feeler on email or snail mail, or if you have a pipe repair for him, and then ask about the Mountain Laurel pipes, that might be a way to approach it. It's my understanding that the supply of Mountain Laurel available for pipes is limited. I just happened on his booth at the State Fair and have bought something from him since 2002, most years, Mountain Laurel or briar. I have never seen his work on sale as estate pipes, so I think people tend to hang on to what they buy. The Mountain Laurel's aren't much on grain; it's very tight, but they have a density but light weight that is nifty.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
You learn something new here every day. I never knew that Mountain Laurel was an alternative wood for pipes. Interestingly, Mountain Laurel leaves contain a toxin that is in the cyanide family and is fatally toxic to livestock. I wouldn't feel comfortable smoking a Mountain Laurel pipe. I guess I've just seen too many animals dead or near-dead when exposed to Mountain Laurel leaves. One doesn't carve a pipe from leaves. But still...

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Of course, since I can't have one, I am now having to stave off a PAD attack for a mountain laurel pipe. I'm glad OP posted. I have looked at Barracini's online but didn't buy because they seemed to cheap.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Brass, there not bad. Its a good briar to throw in the mix as far as being smokable. Its not the best grain, not the best stem but the draft hole is dead center and the walls on mine are nice and thick. For a 30 dollar P&C sale there wasnt much to lose in trying. I like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.