PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've got a number of old estates with silver repair bands. How do you all protect the briar when your bands need to be polished? Medical tape, as a buffer, leaves a gummy residue and I'm leery of removing the bands so I can restore the luster.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'll be interested to see the replies here but I seem to recall reading that blue painters tape and masking tape were viable options.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Blue tape for heavy duty stuff, if its just tarnished some I.e. a little black..I've got a jewelry polishing cloth that doesn't need any solutions and doesn't harm the wood
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FIS5U4

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've always just used jewelry/silver polish and never needed to tape off the shank.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with bigvan, just hand polish with something for jewelry.

If the band is more than just oxidized, I'd do it on a machine with some white diamond rouge. I probably would tape off the briar for that work.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I use masking tape or tightly wrap a cloth around the wood when I'm buffing the band. It depends on what is at hand.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Like Chris I use a dry jewelry polishing cloth. The blue painters tape sounds like a great idea if you are going to be using a buffing wheel.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I just use a little toothpaste and a cloth, the toothpaste comes right off if you get a little on the wood.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Useful though the tape method might be, I could not stick tape on my pipe. I too have a pipe with a band that needs to be shined and I will end up using jewelry polish.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I picked up a two pack of Cape Cod Cloth at the local hardware store after seeing it highly recommended on the internet. It works great on silver bands. It's currently on sale on Amazon for $4.29. There's also a tin with 12 cloths for $13.86 on Amazon, but two should last a long time. I wipe it dry with a soft cloth after using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.